Lemon bars, a classic favorite, typically have a flour-based crust with a layer of tangy, custard-like topping. Although delicious, this dessert doesn’t exactly scream “healthy.” In this version, we are taking everything you love about this lemony pastry and amping up the health benefits with a few Paleo tweaks.
The revamped crust is made using coconut flour mixed with a little bit of tapioca starch. With its light and airy texture, tapioca starch is great for countering the denseness of coconut flour. The dough should be crumbly upon mixing, but stick together when pressed into the baking sheet. Along with some grass-fed butter and a little coconut sugar, this dough turns into a cookie-like crust once baked. Keep an eye on your crust as it can go from golden brown to burnt around the edges in a matter of minutes. You want the crust to come to a light golden brown color but not be cooked completely. I found around 10-12 minutes was just enough time.
These lemon bars are really all about the topping. A mixture of eggs, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and tapioca starch are combined and poured onto the freshly baked crust. Nothing beats the flavor of fresh lemon juice in dessert recipes, so don’t buy the store bought stuff. Naturally sweet and chewy coconut flakes are sprinkled on top and baked to toasty perfection. Once out of the oven, let your lemon bars set for an hour before slicing so that the topping can set. The combination of buttery crust and tangy topping make for a mixture that dances on the taste buds.
Heavenly Coconut Lemon Bars
Heavenly Coconut Lemon Bars
- FOR CRUST:
- 1.5 cups coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 sticks grass-fed butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 t sea salt
- FOR LEMON TOPPING:
- 4 large eggs (5 if using regular sized)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1/2 cup pure honey
- 2 t tapioca starch
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 9x13 baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients for crust. Mix using a hand mixer or food processor until combined and crumbly.
- Press dough into baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is just a light golden brown.
- While crust bakes, combine ingredients (except coconut flakes) for topping. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour topping onto crust and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Return to oven 20 minutes or until coconut is lightly toasted.
- Allow bars to cool at room temperature for 1 hour before slicing.
Tip: Paired with a hot cup of tea or coffee, I have found that these lemon bars are equally delicious served warm or chilled!
Watch the Video Below!
(You’ll Also Love: Raspberry Lemon Swirl Bars)
Black Forest Cake with Silky Chocolate Icing… and it’s 100% Paleo Friendly!
Black Forest Cake with
Silky Chocolate Icing…
and it’s 100% Paleo