Slow cook wings to fall-off-the-bone perfection in a savory paleo and keto garlic parmesan sauce.
Getting that savory Parmesan flavor without the dairy is easier than you think! This combination of ghee, garlic, macadamia nuts, and nutritional yeast holds its own against any cheesy concoction. Especially when served with crispy, tender wings.
Plus, this recipe comes together with barely any effort in the slow cooker. It’s the perfect indulgent keto meal, without the additives found in store-bought sauces.
Love slow cooker recipes?
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Slow-Cooker Recipes!
Making The “Parmesan”
This recipe is all about letting your kitchen gadgets do the work. To make the “Parmesan”, you’ll simply send macadamia nuts, nutritional yeast, dried minced onion, and a little salt through the food processor until it reaches a Parmesan-like consistency. If you want a nuttier crunch, you can leave yours a bit chunkier.
Preparing The Wings
Your first order of business is to pat the excess moisture from the wings. This will help the seasoned tapioca flour to adhere to the wings better.
The addition of tapioca flour to the wings not only helps them crisp up when broiled at the end, but also thicken the sauce a bit so you can serve it alongside your wings.
Helpful Tips To Get You Started:
- Don’t peek. We’ve all been tempted to peek in at what’s going on with our wings, especially once the top gets too steamy to see through. But resist the urge. Keeping all that steam and moisture trapped will result in incredibly tender chicken wings.
- Don’t skip the broil. The slow cooker is amazing for infusing flavors and encouraging the meat to fall from the bone, but crisping really isn’t its thing. Just a few minutes under the broiler will give you that coveted crunch on the outside while keeping things moist and tender on the inside.
Keto Garlic “Parmesan” Wings
Keto Garlic “Parmesan” Wings
- Food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- Small sauce pot
- 6 quart slow cooker
- 13-by-18-inch sheet pan
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 t dried minced onion
- 1/2 t sea salt, divided
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 2 T tapioca powder
- 1/2 t ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- In a food processor, pulse the macadamia nuts, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and half of the sea salt until finely chopped.
- Pat the wings dry. In the bowl of your slow cooker, toss the chicken wings with tapioca powder, the remaining sea salt, and white pepper.
- In a small sauce pot, heat the ghee over medium. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute, until fragrant. Remove from the heat and pour over the wings. Add the macadamia Parmesan mixture.
- Transfer the wings to the slow cooker. Cover and cook at high for 3 hours.
- When the wings are done, preheat the oven to high broil.
- Lightly grease a sheet pan with ghee. Transfer the wings to the prepared sheet pan.
- Transfer the sheet pan to the oven and broil 3 to 4 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Whisk the remaining sauce in the Crock Pot and then transfer to a bowl.
- Serve the wings warm with the remaining sauce on the side.
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Raw macadamia nuts (Food to Live)
Nutritional yeast (NOW Foods)
Coarse sea salt (AztecSeaSalt)
Tapioca flour (Authentic Foods)
Ghee (Pure Indian Foods)
You’ll Also Love: Crispy Crunchy Pumpkin Chicken Wings