Forget those store-bought cinnamon rolls at the mall. These homemade Paleo Cinnamon Rolls are naturally sweetened for a gluten-free treat without the sugar crash.
Drool-worthy cinnamon rolls are the perfect treat to serve to a crowd – especially ones without pesky wheat or inflammation to worry about. If you’re looking to transform traditional cinnamon rolls into a Paleo-approved recipe, it’s a lot easier than you think! All you need are a few ingredient swaps to enjoy these ooey-gooey cinnamon rolls!
The key to creating ideal dough is using both almond flour and tapioca flours. The almond flour lends itself to creating a fluffy dough while the tapioca flour adds a finer texture. This will help hold the dough together and create a slightly chewy taste. Add a bit of moisture by including CLA-rich ghee, water, and a pasture-raised egg to make the dough sticky and pliable. For the filling, this recipe uses a rich, coconut sugar base for sweetness (similar to brown sugar) and teams up nicely with buttery ghee and cinnamon.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
To get started, begin by making the frosting. Use a saucepan to bring the ingredients to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. When the glaze becomes thick, remove from the stove and let it cool. Transfer to a bowl and reserve in the refrigerator for later.
Next, prepare the dough by combining the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and the wet ingredients in a measuring cup. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir until fully combined (the mixture should be crumbly). Add the egg and continue to mix until the dough is moist and fully combined. Chill the dough for five minutes in the freezer.
When the dough is ready, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and dust the tapioca flour on top. (Make sure your cookie sheet can fit in your freezer for later.) Press the dough onto the baking sheet and mold into a 7″x10” rectangle. Next, mix together the ingredients for the filling. Sprinkle it on top of the dough and press down on it lightly to adhere to the dough. Freeze for five minutes to make the dough less sticky and easier to work with.
Without rolling into the dough, use the parchment paper to guide you as you roll the dough from the width end into a 10-inch long log. Tip: Take your time to prevent the dough from cracking. If it starts to crack, pause and dip your fingertips into warm water and gently glide them over the cracked dough to seal. Pinch the ends with your fingers and transfer to the freezer for 10 minutes.
Then, slice the dough into 1½- inch rolls and place back onto the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until you achieve desired consistency. Tip: Try 12 minutes for a softer roll or 15 minutes for a crunchy, scone-like cinnamon roll. Serve warm and drizzle with chilled glaze or reheat the glaze for a slightly thinner frosting.
Paleo Cinnamon Rolls
Paleo Cinnamon Rolls
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- 9 x 13” baking pan
For the Dough:
- 1 ½ cups tapioca flour + extra for dusting
- 2/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup grass-fed ghee, melted
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1 T raw honey
- 1 large pasture-raised egg
For the Filling:
- 2 T melted ghee
- 3 T coconut sugar
- 2 t ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 T raw honey
- To Make the Frosting: Stir together coconut cream and raw honey in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until cream is slightly thickened. Pour the frosting into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use (for a thinner frosting, reheat and serve warm).
- To Make the Dough: Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet or pan with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, stir together raw honey, apple cider vinegar, warm water, and ghee.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir together to form a dough. Add the egg in last and continue to mix until fully combined. Chill the dough for five minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet (one that can fit in the freezer) with parchment paper and dust with tapioca flour. Press out the dough to form a 10 x 7” rectangle.
- To Make the Filling: Stir melted ghee, coconut sugar, and ground cinnamon together. Sprinkle onto dough and press gently. Transfer to the freezer for five minutes.
- Roll the dough from the width end and use the parchment paper to guide you until the dough is rolled into a 10-inch long log. Press ends with fingers to seal and transfer to freezer for 10 minutes.
- When finished, slice the dough into 1½- inch rolls and place onto a baking pan (discard the ends). Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- When cinnamon rolls are done baking, let them cool for 10 minutes before drizzling glaze on top. Serve warm.
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Tapioca flour (Authentic Foods)
Almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
Ghee (Pure Indian Foods)
Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg)
Raw honey (Bee Farms)
Coconut sugar (Wholesome)
Coconut cream (Native Forest)
(You’ll Also Love: Soft and Pillowy Instant Pot Cinnamon Rolls)
Black Forest Cake with Silky Chocolate Icing… and it’s 100% Paleo Friendly!
Black Forest Cake with
Silky Chocolate Icing…
and it’s 100% Paleo