Swap heavy potatoes with low carb cauliflower for fluffy, garlicky cauliflower mashed cakes.
Cauliflower steps in for potatoes in this simple recipe. Unlike their carb-heavy counterparts, these nourishing cakes are easy to whip up and come loaded with immune-boosting antioxidants. (1) Lightly seasoned with chives and garlic, they’re perfect as a savory snack, side, or appetizer.
Just like potato-based cakes, this comforting version can range from crunchy to smooth. You can blend them with any of your favorite herbs, spices, or bits of crispy bacon for varying flavors. They also make a great companion to serve alongside entrées like steak or chicken.
Add power-packed superfood veggies to every meal with these easy cauliflower recipes.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our Cauliflower Recipe Guide!
To help bind the cakes together, this recipe uses an airy arrowroot powder to give it a fluffy and golden crisp texture. Extracted from the root of a tropical plant, this gluten-free flour is great for adding thickness and elasticity to any recipe. If you don’t have any on hand, you can also use cassava or tapioca flour as a substitute.
To get started, bring four cups of water to a boil in a medium stockpot. Add in the cauliflower and oil, allowing them to cook for 10 minutes (you’ll want to ensure they’re nice and tender). Strain and add the cauliflower to a food processor, blending for about 30 seconds. Pause to add in the egg, arrowroot flour, chives, garlic, and sea salt to the mix. Then, continue pulsing for another 10 seconds to fully combine.
In a medium skillet, heat one tablespoon of avocado oil over medium heat for two minutes. Scoop a quarter cup of the cauliflower mixture onto the hot skillet and shape it into a circular cake using a spatula. Cook for five minutes on each side, then remove and repeat with the remaining cauliflower mixture (adding more avocado oil as needed). Serve hot and enjoy immediately.
Note: These cauliflower mashed cakes are best eaten right away as reheating can make them lose their structure.
Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Cakes
Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Cakes
- Medium stockpot
- Food processor
- Medium skillet
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 T minced chives
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 T avocado oil
- Bring water to a boil in a medium stockpot. Add the cauliflower and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Strain and transfer the cauliflower into a food processor. Blend for about 30 seconds, then add the egg, arrowroot flour, chives, garlic, and sea salt. Continue pulsing for another 10 seconds to fully combine.
- When finished, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of cauliflower mixture onto the hot skillet and shape into a circular cake using a spatula. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, then repeat with the remaining cauliflower mixture (adding more avocado oil as needed). Serve hot and enjoy!
Watch the Recipe Video Below!
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Arrowroot flour (Authentic Foods)
Sea salt (REDMOND)
Avocado oil (Bella Vado)
Other Paleo recipes to substitute cauliflower for potatoes include: