Slice up this fluffy, herb-rich garlic bread made from whipped eggs and healthy cauliflower!
This light, wheat-free garlic bread is just begging to be slathered with ghee or topped with sliced tomatoes. Filled with protein and plenty of fiber, it’ll satisfy any carb craving pronto. Try serving a few slices alongside veggie noodle pasta and Paleo meatballs for a complete meal.
The secret behind this gluten-free bread is using veggies with a high water content, like cauliflower. This helps create a moist bread that amps up the nutritional content with nourishing vitamins. You can achieve the same texture using bananas, canned pumpkin or zucchini.
Add power-packed superfood veggies to every meal with these easy cauliflower recipes.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our Cauliflower Recipe Guide!
Almond flour helps to create a breadlike texture while also adding protein and healthy fats. I recommend using blanched almond flour for its finer texture, which works extremely well in bread recipes.
A few techniques are used to make this bread as fluffy as possible. First, boiled cauliflower gets mashed and then wrung out to prevent the bread from becoming soggy. This is a simple yet crucial step to achieving a sliceable cauliflower garlic bread!
Another important step is to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Whipped egg whites are filled with air, creating a spongy texture that adds structure to the bread.
Start by boiling cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling water until tender. Meanwhile, use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites. Strain the cauliflower, mash it until crumbly in a mixing bowl, and pour onto a clean kitchen towel and squeeze tightly over the sink to remove the liquid. I recommend doing this a second time with a separate towel to ensure all the excess moisture is wrung out. Return the cauliflower mash to the mixing bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients to form a batter, slowly folding in the egg whites last. Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes.
Let the bread cool for 10 minutes, then use a serrated knife to slice it.
Paleo Cauliflower Garlic Bread
Paleo Cauliflower Garlic Bread
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- Large pot
- 2 mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Potato masher
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ t sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper overlapping the sides.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and boil for 7-10 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until peaks form.
- Strain the cauliflower and add to a separate mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or a large fork to mash, then transfer to a clean kitchen towel and wring out the excess liquid over the sink.
- Return the cauliflower mash to the mixing bowl and add the almond flour, egg yolks, parsley, garlic, basil, baking powder, and salt. Beat on low speed until just incorporated.
- Use a spatula to gradually fold in the egg whites. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into 12 slices and serve warm.
Tip: For extra-garlicky bread, cut the loaf into slices. Next, mix ½ cup of melted ghee with 3 minced garlic cloves, then spread the mixture over the slices. Place the slices on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes and enjoy warm.
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here’s what we recommend:
Almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
(You’ll Also Love: 25 Grain-Free and Wheat-Free Paleo Bread Recipes)