Slow cook tender chunks of beef into a wholesome meal with savory veggies, broth, and fresh herbs.
Cozy up with this hearty beef and veggie roast! Made with plenty of protein and vitamin-boosting nutrients, this recipe is sure to satisfy any hungry appetite. Best of all, the crock pot does most of the work for you!
Chuck roasts are a classic slow cooker favorite. It’s the ideal cut of beef to slow cook and allows the meat to fully tenderize and soften in savory drippings and stock. Before adding to the crock pot, the beef is seared in buttery ghee and caramelized bits of garlic to lock in extra flavor.
Love slow cooker recipes?
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Slow-Cooker Recipes!
Root vegetables are added for extra comfort and richness while adding bulk to the dish. Petite carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, and celery create a beautiful medley of veggies that pair well with the added seasonings of the beef. If you’re looking for even more flavor, try adding shallots and parsnips to the mix.
To get started, melt the ghee over medium-high heat for two minutes. Blot the beef dry with a paper towel and season both sides with oregano, salt, and pepper. Removing the excess moisture from the beef will help to brown the surface as it sears in hot ghee.
Next, place the beef into the stock pot and sear on both sides for four minutes. Add the garlic to the hot pot and sauté for 20 seconds. Transfer the beef and drippings into a crock pot, then add the beef stock and coconut aminos. Cover with a lid and cook for six hours on low.
When the first round of simmering is complete, add in the carrots, sweet potatoes, onion, celery, and rosemary. Use a large spoon to drizzle the stock over the veggies and coat fully. Cover and continue to cook for two additional hours.
Then, transfer the beef to a cutting board using a pair of tongs. Use two forks to shred into large chunks and serve alongside the veggies. Top with chopped basil and enjoy immediately!
Tip: Turn the drippings and broth from the crock pot into a rich gravy by heating it in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in two teaspoons of tapioca starch and continue to heat for three minutes. Drizzle over the roast and veggies.
Chuck Roast Crock Pot Recipe
Chuck Roast Crock Pot Recipe
- Large stock pot
- Crock Pot
- 2 T ghee
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 1 t garlic, minced
- 2 T grass-fed butter
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 4 cups petite carrots
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup sweet white onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, halved
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 T chopped basil for serving
- Melt the ghee over medium-high heat in a large stockpot for 2 minutes. Blot the beef dry with a paper towel and season on both sides with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place the beef into the pot and sear it on both sides for 4 minutes. Add the garlic to the pot and sauté for 20 seconds.
- Transfer the beef and drippings to a crock pot with beef stock and coconut aminos. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 6 hours on low.
- Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, onion, celery, and rosemary to the crock pot. Use a large spoon to drizzle the stock from the pot onto the veggies. Cover and continue cooking for 2 more hours.
- When finished, transfer the beef roast to a cutting board and shred into large chunks. Serve the beef alongside the veggies topped with chopped basil and enjoy!
You’ll Also Love: 20 Easy Paleo Crock Pot Recipes