Bake up this melt-in-your-mouth almond braid filled with dark chocolate, honey, and toasted almonds!
Enjoy rich dark chocolate nestled in a bed of Paleo almond bread! Made with all-natural ingredients, this recipe uses a combination of gluten-free flours, honey, and crunchy almonds. Serve it as a dessert to share with others or slice up a piece for midday snacking!
To get started, combine the flours with salt into a medium bowl. Mix until well combined and add the grass-fed butter. Use your hands to mix together and add in the egg and honey to create a dough. Wrap the dough in parchment paper and let it chill in the fridge for one hour. Then, place it on a new sheet of parchment paper and spread the dough into a 9-inch square. Use a knife to cut off the excess edges.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
Next, place the chocolate bar in the center of your square (vertical side up). Start from the bottom right corner of the chocolate bar and cut a diagonal line to the edge of the dough (like a downward slope). Move half an inch up and repeat until you get to the top of the bar. Then mirror the same cuts on the opposite side.
After the side strips are sliced, use your knife to cut a vertical line from the top two corners of the chocolate bar to the top of the dough. Repeat for the bottom half. Remove the four corner pieces of the dough and fold the top and bottom flaps over the chocolate. Begin the braiding process by crisscrossing each side strip over the other and working your way down.
When finished, brush the top with a beaten egg and garnish with sliced almonds. Bake for 20 minutes and remove when the crust is golden brown. Drizzle with extra honey and serve warm. Store keep leftovers in the fridge for up to three days!
Chocolate Almond Braid Recipe
Chocolate Almond Braid Recipe
- Medium bowl
- Parchment paper
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup grass-fed butter, cold and grated
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1 bar of dark chocolate (3.5 oz)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, and salt in medium bowl. Stir until combined.
- Add in the butter and mix with your hands until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in the cold egg with honey and mix until the mixture forms a dough. Wrap the dough in parchment paper and place in the fridge for one hour.
- When chilled, place the dough onto a new sheet of parchment paper. Roll the dough into a 9-inch square and trim the edges with a knife.
- Place the chocolate bar in the center of dough, with the vertical side up.
- Slice a diagonal angle starting from the right corner of the chocolate bar to the edge of the dough. Move up half an inch and repeat until you get to the top of the bar. Mirror the same cuts on the opposite side.
- Slice vertical lines from the top two corners of the chocolate bar to the top edges of the dough. Mirror the same cuts for the bottom half. Remove the four corner pieces of the dough and fold the bottom and top flaps over the chocolate bar.
- Starting from the top, take the side strips and fold each one over the other. Alternate on both sides until all strips have been crisscrossed (like a braid).
- Brush the top of the dough with one beaten egg and garnish with sliced almonds. Bake until golden brown for about 20 minutes. When ready, remove from the oven and drizzle with honey. Slice and serve warm!
(You’ll Also Love: 61 Decadent Dark Chocolate Recipes)