Looking for a decadent date night dessert? Wow your sweetheart with this dark chocolate lava cake!
If you are cooking up something special for your sweetheart, this healthier Paleo version of chocolate lava cake will have them swooning in no time.
Dark chocolate and almond butter create an indulgent texture and flavor in this gluten-free chocolate lava cake recipe. Best of all, you don’t have to share – the recipe makes two rich and chocolatey cakes, perfect for a date night in.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
Dark chocolate is known for its antioxidant and flavonol properties. This decadent treat also contains half the amount of sugar as milk chocolate and is higher in iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and zinc. This is because dark chocolate contains higher concentrations of cocoa, while other varieties are full of additives and sugar. Be sure to purchase dark chocolate that contains 70% cocoa.
To create a cake-like texture, eggs bind with cacao powder and almond meal. The cakes are cooked just long enough to create a solid outside and decadent, gooey chocolate inside. If you don’t have ramekins, you can cook your cakes in a wide shallow mug, which is exactly what I did for this recipe. I was a bit intimidated trying this recipe out, but I found it surprisingly effortless to put together. It’s an easy, fancy dessert (that’s secretly easy to make) to share on any special night in.
Paleo Chocolate Lava Cake
Paleo Chocolate Lava Cake
- Ramekins or 2 Mugs
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- Hand Mixer
- Baking Sheet
- Sharp Knife
- 2 eggs
- 2 T cacao powder, divided
- 3 T coconut oil
- 2 T creamy almond butter
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T raw honey
- 1 T almond meal
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat ramekins or 2 mugs with a little bit of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of the cacao powder
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave at 30 seconds increments, stir each time until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, almond butter, honey and vanilla extract. Mix using a hand mixer for 4 minutes. Mixture should be fluffy.
- Pour melted chocolate into egg mixture, stirring as you pour.
- Gently stir in almond meal and 1 tbsp of cacao powder.
- Divide batter among ramekins or mugs.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. If you are using small ramekins, they may be done closer to ten minutes and closer to 12 minutes for a larger ramekin or mug.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 3 minutes. Gently slide a sharp knife around edges of cake to loosen.
- Put a small plate on top of mug and carefully flip over to remove cakes. You can also carefully scoop them out with a large spoon.
Watch the Video Recipe Below!
Delicious "liquid chocolate" kills cravings, helps reduce blood Delicious "liquid
pressure, and feeds good gut bugs (creamy & smooth).
chocolate" kills cravings,
helps reduce blood
pressure, and feeds
good gut bugs
(creamy & smooth).