Mineral-rich raw honey, coconut, dark chocolate and almonds form a copycat Almond Joy with health benefits to boot.
While traditional candy bars are tempting and satisfying, they are too often filled with artificial flavors and preservatives. Luckily, Almond Joys are a favorite that’s easy to transform into a healthy Paleo version with real foods.
BPA-free silicone candy molds are a must for creating candy, and they make serving treats super convenient with no need for slicing. If you don’t have candy molds, this recipe can also be made in an 8×8 baking pan. Just cover the bottom with wax paper for easy removal.
A dark chocolate base is swapped for traditional milk chocolate, amping up the antioxidant factor. To balance the slight bitterness of dark chocolate, raw honey gets mixed into the coconut layer. If you prefer a sweeter chocolate, stir in a teaspoon or two of stevia powder or pure maple syrup into the melted chocolate.
Start by melting chocolate chips in a double boiler until smooth. Spoon into the candy molds using a teaspoon, and freeze for five minutes to lightly set. The chocolate should still be slightly pliable so that when you press the coconut layer on top, it forms to the chocolate. In a mixing bowl, stir together the unsweetened coconut flakes, raw honey and melted coconut oil until combined and moistened. The coconut oil acts like a glue, binding the chocolate and coconut layers. Scoop the mixture over the chocolate layer, and gently but firmly press to form. Dip the backs of the almonds into the chocolate, and set one on top of each bar. Freeze for 15 minutes to set. Pop the bars out of the molds and store in a refrigerator or a dry cool spot. These healthy, homemade candies are a cinch to whip up in large batches.
Copycat Almond Joy Recipe
Copycat Almond Joy Recipe
- 0.5 oz silicone candy molds (BPA-free)
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup unsweetened dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 2 T raw honey
- 12 almonds, unsalted
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth. Spoon one teaspoon of chocolate into the BPA- free silicone candy molds. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes to set. Reserve the bowl with melted chocolate for later.
- Combine the coconut, raw honey and melted coconut oil into the mixing bowl, and stir well to moisten. Spoon the mixture over the dark chocolate in the candy molds and press to form.
- Dip the bottom of the almonds into the reserved chocolate, and gently press one on top of each candy bar. Place back into the freezer for 15 minutes to completely set. Pop the bars out of the molds and store in a dry cool spot.
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
(You’ll Also Love: Paleo Milky Way Bars)
Black Forest Cake with Silky Chocolate Icing… and it’s 100% Paleo Friendly!
Black Forest Cake with
Silky Chocolate Icing…
and it’s 100% Paleo