Transform cauliflower into hearty “steak” that’s crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth tender on the inside.
Lightly fry cauliflower into golden brown steaks for a veggie-fueled dish! Packed with vitamin C, it’s a foolproof way to get kids (and adults, too!) to eat more veggies. Serve with a spicy honey sauce for a drool-worthy dish everyone will enjoy!
Fried chicken traditionally gets dredged in flour before plunging into a vat of oil. While the end result is tasty, the inflammatory effects of gluten and hydrogenated oils can cause serious tummy troubles. Hydrogenated oils, which are high in trans fats, contribute to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and should be avoided as much as possible. (1)
Add power-packed superfood veggies to every meal with these easy cauliflower recipes.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our Cauliflower Recipe Guide!
Instead, opt for avocado oil to pan fry your cauliflower without sacrificing flavor. Great for high-heat cooking, this oil adds a crisp outside and fork-tender center to each piece. It’s a healthier alternative to deep frying and has a smoke point that can withstand high temperatures, without burning.
To nix the gluten, cassava flour is subbed in to lightly coat the cauliflower. It’s made from cassava root (aka yuca) and has a texture that’s nearly identical to all-purpose flour. Use it as a gluten-free alternative for baking pizza crusts, nut-free bread, and tortillas.
To get started, slice the cauliflower head into one-inch steaks. Place the beaten eggs into a shallow bowl and combine the dry ingredients on a separate plate. Drop four tablespoons of avocado oil in a 10-inch cast iron pan and heat over medium-high for two minutes. Tip: Using a cast iron pan will help retain the heat better than a standard pan.
While the oil heats, dunk each cauliflower slice into the eggs and coat both sides. Shake off the excess egg and lightly dredge each side into the cassava flour mixture. Add it to the hot oil, working in one at a time. Pan-fry each side for three minutes and place the fried cauliflower onto a wire cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower slices and drizzle the spicy honey sauce on top. Serve and enjoy!
Chicken-Fried Cauliflower Steaks
Chicken-Fried Cauliflower Steaks
- Large cast iron pan
- Medium mixing bowl
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 2 large pasture-raised eggs, beaten
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1 t paprika
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 4 T avocado oil for frying
For Spicy Honey Sauce:
- 2 T honey
- 2 T Paleo-friendly hot sauce or sriracha
- Slice the cauliflower into four one-inch steaks.
- Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow mixing bowl. Combine the dry ingredients on a separate plate. Add four tablespoons of avocado oil in a 10-inch cast iron pan and let it warm over medium-high for two minutes. While the oil heats, dunk the cauliflower slices in the egg. Coat evenly on both sides and shake off any excess.
- Dredge the cauliflower into the dry ingredients and add it to the hot oil. Work in one at a time and fry each side for three minutes, using tongs to turn. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Stir together the honey and hot sauce. Drizzle over the cauliflower steaks just before serving.
(You’ll Also Love: The 9 Best Unfried Chicken Recipes)
80 Gourmet Paleo Recipes from
a Professional Chef trained at Le
Cordon Bleu in Paris
80 Gourmet Paleo Recipes
from a Professional Chef
trained at Le Cordon Bleu