Meal prep these low-carb wraps for a protein-packed snack you can eat throughout the week!
Chicken and veggies get tossed in a crunchy almond sauce before getting tucked in a tender cabbage wrap. Served with a soy-free dipping sauce, these make-ahead wraps are ready to enjoy in no time!
As an alternative to traditional grain wraps, this recipe uses napa cabbage to house all your favorite fillings. Because cabbage is mild in flavor, you can fill it with any combination of spicy or sweet ingredients you prefer. When boiling, you’ll want to work in two batches (seven leaves each) so that they tenderize easily and evenly.
Want to go Paleo? Not sure where to start?
Start with this FREE Paleo For Beginners Guide Today!
The almond butter marinade gives the meat and veggies a toasted nutty taste with an added sweetness from the coconut milk. You can also use this marinade for grilled chicken (think peanut satay style) or use as a dressing for salads and slaws. The final dipping sauce offers a tangy honey flavor using fresh limes and coconut aminos.
To get started, stir together the ingredients for the almond butter marinade in one mixing bowl and the honey dipping sauce in another. Set aside and begin boiling the chicken breasts for at least 30 minutes in a medium saucepan. When finished, remove and shred the chicken using two forks. Place into a medium bowl and set aside.
Working in two batches, boil the cabbage leaves in a large stock pot for about two minutes. This will help tenderize the leaves for easy wrapping later. Drain and place onto a clean kitchen towel, slicing off any tough ends on the ribs and stem.
Next, set a skillet to medium heat and drizzle in the avocado oil. Allow the pan to fully heat before tossing in the onions and carrots. Sauté for seven minutes, then add in the garlic and ginger. Continue cooking for three more minutes before removing from the pan. Combine with the almond butter marinade, shredded chicken, sliced almonds, and cilantro. Stir well to coat.
When ready, spoon a quarter cup of chicken mixture onto the center of a cabbage leaf and roll from the stem end, tucking in the sides as you go. Secure with a toothpick and repeat with remaining chicken mixture and cabbage leaves. Serve immediately with honey dipping sauce or store in the fridge to reheat later in the week.
To reheat: Preheat the oven to 325ºF and place the cabbage rolls in a casserole dish lined with parchment paper. Cover and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Almond Chicken Cabbage Wraps
Almond Chicken Cabbage Wraps
- Medium saucepan
- Large stock pot
- Medium skillet
- 2 small mixing bowls
- 1 medium mixing bowl
For Almond Butter Marinade:
- 1/3 cup creamy unsalted almond butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 2 T coconut aminos
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
For the Honey Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 2 T honey
For the Chicken Wraps:
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 t grated ginger
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 14 medium napa cabbage leaves
- In two separate mixing bowls, combine the ingredients for the almond butter marinade in one and the honey dipping sauce in another. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add in the chicken breasts. Cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Transfer to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add in the cabbage leaves. Work in two batches, boiling 7 leaves at a time, for about 2 minutes. Drain using a clean kitchen towel and slice off any tough ends of cabbage. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium heat and add in the onions and carrots. Sauté for 7 minutes, then add in the garlic and ginger. Continue stirring for another 3 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the vegetable mixture, shredded chicken, sliced almonds, and cilantro. Add in the almond butter marinade and stir well to coat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture into the center of a cabbage leaf. Roll from the bottom of the leaf, tucking in the sides as you roll. Secure with a toothpick and repeat with the remaining mixtures and cabbage. Serve with honey dipping sauce and enjoy!
(You’ll Also Love: Asian-Style Cabbage Wraps)