Fancy lasagna but don’t want gluten? Or do you just simply want to use up some leftover veggies? This Sweet Potato Kale Lasagna is the best recipe for you as it is packed with layers of flavor and nutrition. Plus, it is simple to make and super healthy!
The rich tomato sauce adds the perfect flavors with a delicious kick from the herbs. To make this lasagna pasta-less, we substitute the usual noodles with sweet potatoes. This veggie substitute creates a solid structure that keeps the ingredients together and taste divine.
Serve this hearty dinner alongside a big fresh salad or steamed veggies for a lip-smacking meal. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free and packed with nutritious kale and mushrooms.
Sweet Potato Kale Lasagna
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 2 handfuls kale, chopped
- Big handful mushrooms, sliced finely
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 T tomato puree
- 1 T dried mixed herbs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- ¼ tsp black pepper
How to Make It
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes lengthways into strips, approximately ¼ inch thick.
3. Chop kale, onions, garlic and slice the mushrooms into thin pieces.
4. Place a saucepan on to the stovetop at a medium-high heat. Add a little water with the chopped onions and sliced or minced garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed herbs and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes on a low to medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan off the heat and set aside.
6. Using a small to medium baking dish, add a little of the sauce at the bottom to prevent the sweet potatoes sticking to the pan.
7. Then place one layer of the sweet potato slices into the baking dish.
8. On top of that layer the tomato sauce over the sweet potato.
9. Add a layer of sliced mushrooms.
10. Add a layer of chopped kale.
11. Repeat the above steps with a second layer of sweet potatoes, then tomato sauce, then mushrooms, then kale and top with sweet potatoes.
12. Place in the oven and cook for 40 to 50 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked all the way through.
13. Serve with a big fresh salad and topped with fresh herbs.
(You’ll Also Love: Sweet Potatoes Coconut Cream Au Gratin)