Whip up these chocolatey protein pancakes filled with collagen for an energy-fueled start to your morning.
I strongly believe that it’s important to start your day right—and having a good breakfast is key. When we eat a protein-filled meal in the morning, our body is fueled throughout the day and it’s easier to fight cravings.
Start making these protein pancakes by whisking the liquid ingredients together in a large bowl, and then set them aside. In a smaller bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until they are well combined. Next, sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well until there are no big lumps. Note: the batter will be thick, but that’s the way it should be.
In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium low heat and then scoop a ¼ cup of pancake batter into the middle. Spread it out slightly to form a circle.
Making protein pancakes requires plenty of patience, so don’t be anxious, because if you flip the pancake over too early and the inside is not cooked, it will fall apart. Instead, wait for the batter to cook through—you’ll know when it’s ready when bubbles start forming on the top and the surface is no longer shiny (this will take about 2 minutes). Gently flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook it on the other side until it is fully cooked (about 1 minute), then place it on a plate and set it aside. Repeat until no batter is left.
I like topping these protein pancakes with freshly sliced strawberries, but you can always use other fruit depending on your preference or seasonal availability. And don’t forget to drizzle the pancakes with honey or maple syrup—this gives it the perfect finishing touch!
Chocolate Collagen Protein Pancakes Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large skillet
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 T honey
- 2 T coconut oil + more for cooking
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 3 t baking powder
- 3 T cacao powder
- ¼ cup collagen powder
- Pinch of salt
- Sliced fresh fruit, optional
- Honey or maple syrup, optional for drizzling
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg, almond milk, and water until fluffy. Add honey and coconut oil and whisk a bit more until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the almond meal, tapioca starch, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and collagen together.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk well until there are no more big lumps and you get a thick pancake batter.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, and scoop ¼ cup of batter into the middle to form a circle.
- Once bubbles start forming on the surface and the top is no longer shiny (about 2 minutes), gently flip over the pancake with a spatula and cook for another minute until the bottom is cooked. Set the pancake on a plate.
- Repeat until no batter is left.
- Serve the pancakes solo or with sliced fruit and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup!
Inspired by: Protein Essentials
Tip: If you want more chocolate in your pancakes, sprinkle some dark chocolate chips onto the batter as it cooks before flipping it over to the other side.
(You’ll Also Love: Coconut Flour Churro Pancakes)