Forget takeout – this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken makes weeknight dinner a breeze!
Let the crock pot do all the work with this easy dump-and-go recipe. It features all the sweet and tangy flavors you’d expect from any Chinese restaurant – minus the refined sugars and soy.
This is a great recipe to make a large batch ahead of time and reheat throughout the week. Simply serve it over cauliflower rice or pair with your favorite veggies for a complete meal.
Love slow cooker recipes?
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Slow-Cooker Recipes!
The Best Way To Cook Sweet And Sour Chicken
We use chicken breast in this recipe for its high protein content that keeps you feeling full. Letting it simmer for hours in a homemade sauce helps tenderize the meat so that you get juicy, fall-apart chicken in every bite.
The great thing about using a slow cooker is that it makes any recipe practically foolproof. Unlike cooking chicken in the oven, you don’t have to worry about it coming out too dry or undercooked.
Making A Sauce That Rivals The Rest
To mimic a traditional sweet and sour chicken dish with a low-carb profile, we combine the chicken with colorful bell peppers, diced fresh pineapple, and white onion. Next, we coat everything in a tangy sweet and sour sauce made with soy-free coconut aminos, tomato paste, garlic, and ginger.
To help thicken the sauce, gradually stir in the arrowroot flour after the slow cooker is done to prevent it from clumping. This gluten-free ingredient is a great alternative to wheat-based flours and helps bind the other ingredients together. If you don’t have any on hand, you can also use tapioca or cassava flour in equal amounts.
Helpful Tips To Get Started:
- Prep ingredients the night before. Store them in containers in the fridge, then all you have to do is add them into the crock pot when you’re ready to cook.
- Double up on the sauce for other recipes. It makes for a great marinade for steak, chicken, or pork.
- Make a large batch for weeknight meal prep. Store leftovers in individual containers for pre-portioned meals at your fingertips. It lasts up to five days in the fridge.
Slow Cooker Sweet Sour Chicken
Slow Cooker Sweet Sour Chicken
- Small mixing bowl
- Crock pot
For the Sauce:
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 t grated ginger
For the Chicken:
- 2 lbs cubed chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped multi-color bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped sweet white onion
- 1 T arrowroot flour
- 1 t sesame seeds, for garnish
- ½ cup chopped green onion, for garnish
- To Make the Sauce: Stir together all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- To Make the Chicken: Turn the crock pot to low and add the chicken, peppers, pineapple, and onion.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and veggies, then cover and slow cook for 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and gradually stir in the arrowroot flour. Cook an additional 5 minutes, uncovered, to thicken the sauce.
- Serve hot over cauliflower rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
If you liked this super simple sweet and sour chicken recipe, you’ll love the variety of delicious, easy, and gourmet meals in Paleo Eats. Enjoy healthy yet hearty Paleo meals like Mongolian Red Pepper Beef, Pulled Pork, Bacon Bars, and more. Get your copy HERE.
Get started on your Paleo
weight-loss journey today
with our beginner-friendly PaleoHacks Cookbook
Get started on your
journey today with