This biscuits and sausage gravy recipe makes for a perfect cozy Sunday brunch with friends. The best part? This recipe is 100% Paleo-approved!
Without a doubt, biscuits with sausage gravy is pure comfort food. Not only is this dish delicious, it also brings back many memories of lazy Sunday brunches with the family. My mother would make homemade, from-scratch biscuits to accompany her creamy gravy recipe.
Unfortunately, refined wheat flour biscuits are not approved for a primal lifestyle. However, you’ll be surprised to find out how easy it is to re-create the amazing flavors of biscuits and sausage gravy with Paleo-approved ingredients!
The biscuits in this quick recipe are simple; coconut flour, coconut oil, eggs, salt, baking soda. The gravy has that creamy, sumptuous texture of its milk-based, flour-thickened counterpart, but it’s dairy-free and gluten-free! Let’s just say it didn’t last long when I made it for my family for dinner.
Love coconut flour recipes? Get our free coconut flour recipe cookbook here!
Note: It’s very important to the flakiness of these homemade biscuits that you use solid coconut oil, not melted. The solid coconut oil will coat just part of the coconut flour grains and leave others uncoated (hence “coarse crumbs”), leaving you with a flakier baked good. Melted coconut oil is likely to yield tough biscuits. Also, the brand of coconut flour you use matters. Good coconut flour is very finely ground and has a creamy yellow tinge. Some coconut flour is pure white and has an almost “flaky” texture; don’t use this for your biscuits unless you want them to fall apart.
What are you waiting for? Get out your mixing bowl and skillet and make sausage gravy with biscuits!
Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
- ¾ cup coconut flour, for biscuits
- ½ t salt, for biscuits
- ½ t baking soda, for biscuits
- ½ cup coconut oil (solid, NOT melted), for biscuits
- 2 eggs, whisked, for biscuits
- 1 lb pastured pork sausage (breakfast or Italian)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth, for gravy
- 1 cup coconut cream, for gravy
- ½ t garlic powder, for gravy
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste, for gravy
- 3 T cassava flour whisked with 3 T water, for gravy
How To Make Biscuits and Gravy
1. To make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a large cookie sheet with a bit of coconut oil.
3. In a bowl, mix together the coconut flour, salt, and baking soda.
4. Cut in the coconut flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Mix in the eggs until a dough forms. Don’t overmix.
6. Pat out on a coconut-floured surface (don’t roll; that’s too much working of the dough) to about ⅓” thick.
7. Cut as desired into biscuits and transfer to cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
9. To make the gravy: In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage until fully cooked.
10. Add the broth, coconut cream, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix and bring to a simmer.
11. Whisk in the cassava flour mixture and simmer until thickened.
12. Serve the gravy over the warm biscuits. Enjoy!
(You’ll Also Love: Chicken Apple Sausage Patties)