Slow-cooked apples break down into a buttery smooth, caramel-like apple butter spread, flavored with warm fall spice and brightened by a squeeze of lemon.
Apple butter, an autumn staple in apple orchards across the country, is found in country stores and specialty shops—and sometimes your local grocery store. Luckily, the recipe is so simple, there’s no reason you can’t keep it clean-eating friendly and make it at home. Simply chop apples and mix with spices, then turn the crockpot on and let it do the work!
While it’s similar to applesauce, apple butter is cooked low and slow to break down and caramelize the apples to incredible results. A small bit of coconut sugar helps sweeten the deal, while cinnamon adds characteristic fall spice. Finish with a spritz of lemon, and you’ll be spreading this apple butter on everything you can get your hands on.
The spritz of lemon is more important than you think; without it, the flavor is heavier and not as balanced. Trust us and don’t skip that last squeeze.
Traditional apple butter recipes call for peeled apples, but keeping the peel adds fiber and better nutrition to this guilt-free treat. We use Honeycrisp apples for their bright flavor, but any variety of apple will do. Feel free to use red delicious—you’ll end up with a pretty, crimson red color—or go to the opposite end of the spectrum with tart Granny Smith apples.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe
- 2 lbs apples, cored and chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- Place apples into the slow cooker along with coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours until apples fall apart to the touch. Stir occasionally.
- Blend to puree the apples into a butter.
- Remove from blender and place in a container or bowl. Stir in lemon juice.
- We recommend this spread over Paleo biscuits for breakfast or drizzled over dairy-free ice cream for dessert. It will store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, leaving you ample time to try it on everything.
(You’ll Also Love: Easy, Slow-Cooker Pumpkin Butter Recipe)