With deep, bold flavors of turmeric and black onyx cocoa powder, we bet you’ve never had marshmallows like these before!
You may be surprised to learn that you can enjoy marshmallows on the Paleo diet! When sweetened naturally with honey and packed with anti-inflammatory turmeric and cacao, these black and orange marshmallows earn the Paleo stamp of approval.
Never heard of black onyx cocoa powder? The mixture is ultra-dark, lending anything it touches a deep, black shade. When mixed with antioxidant-rich cacao, these treats are downright wholesome. Beyond cacao, there’s also fresh and powdered turmeric, packing a warm, spicy flavor and tons of anti-inflammatory benefits. Don’t forget about the deep orange hue, either!
It’s not just a sweetener -- it’s medicine, too! Discover The Benefits of Nature’s Superfood: Honey
Click here to get your FREE copy of our Honey Guide!
Don’t be intimidated by the marshmallow-making process – these actually come together quite simply. You’ll only need six ingredients and a bit of patience to whip these up.
To start, form a turmeric-flavored water base by steeping warm water with fresh and powdered turmeric. Next, steep the remaining fresh turmeric root in the honey – this will also pack in more turmeric flavor.
Once strained, bloom the powdered gelatin with the turmeric water in a stand mixer. Heat the honey, then pour it over the gelatin and whisk the mixture in the stand mixer until aerated and fluffy. Once the mixture forms medium peaks, transfer it to parchment paper with a wet spatula and flatten it. Let it set for at least four hours.
To cut your marshmallows, lightly grease a knife with olive oil and cut into squares. Toss them in powdered turmeric, cacao powder, and black onyx powder for color and flavor.
These gorgeous, fluffy marshmallows can be enjoyed on their own, or sandwiched between some Paleo cookies and dark chocolate for a more complex s’mores-like treat. We won’t blame you if you go to town on them straight from the parchment paper, though.
Turmeric Ombre Marshmallows
Turmeric Ombre Marshmallows
- Baking pan
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 t powdered turmeric
- 1/2 cup chopped and skinned fresh turmeric, divided
- 1 t gelatin
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup black onyx cocoa powder
- 1 cup honey
- Heat the water, powdered turmeric, and ¼ cup of fresh turmeric. Steep and cool.
- Heat the honey and the remaining fresh turmeric until just simmering. Steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the honey and water.
- Bloom the powdered gelatin in the bowl of a stand mixer with 2/3 cup of the cold turmeric water.
- Heat the honey to 212°F. Pour over the gelatin and whisk on medium high until aerated and fluffy.
- When the marshmallow fluff is able to hold a medium peak, use a wet spatula to transfer from the bowl to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten out with a spatula and cover with parchment paper lightly greased with olive oil.
- Set at room temperature for at least 4 hours.
- To cut the marshmallows, lightly grease a knife with olive oil and cut in one long motion lengthwise. Keep making parallel cuts, cutting long strips 1 inch thick. Then cut the strips into 1-inch cubes.
- Dust the marshmallows in powdered turmeric, cacao powder, and black onyx powder.
(You’ll Also Love: Homemade Collagen Marshmallows Recipe for Firmer, Healthy Skin)