Experience Mediterranean comfort food with this Greek-inspired beef and sweet potato moussaka recipe.
If you love Greek food, check out this Paleo beef and sweet potato moussaka! Inspired by Eastern Mediterranean traditions, this dish piles layers of eggplant, sweet potatoes, and meat sauce in one soul-gratifying dish. To keep things dairy-free, a creamy béchamel sauce is made using both cauliflower and almond milk.
Each Mediterranean region prepares this dish differently, which means there are infinite ways to experiment. While this moussaka recipe uses ground beef, you can easily opt for lamb to keep things truly authentic. Different meats, spices, and herbs can also be used to switch things up. Try replacing cinnamon with allspice or add a bit of dried thyme to enhance signature Greek flavor.
Trying to figure out exactly what to eat on Paleo? Look no further than our FREE 21 Day Paleo Meal Plan.
Grab Our FREE Paleo Meal Plan By Clicking Here!
Begin by cooking the eggplant rounds in a large skillet until golden brown. Set aside when done and use the same pan to make the béchamel sauce. Bring the béchamel ingredients (minus the eggs) to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover for 15 minutes and then remove from heat. Transfer to a blender and pulse until smooth – making sure to add the reserved eggs one at a time. Then, set aside and wipe the skillet clean.
Place the onion and ground beef into the pan and wait for it to brown before stirring in the tomatoes and water. Add additional meat sauce ingredients and cover for 10 minutes. In the meantime, begin prepping the sweet potatoes and set aside.
Tip: You can prep this dish ahead of time by pre-cutting your veggies and preparing sauces the night before.
Next, grease a casserole dish and layer the eggplant rounds evenly along the base. Pour half the meat sauce over the eggplant rounds, layer with sweet potatoes, and top with the remaining meat sauce. Add the béchamel sauce on last and sprinkle with herbs to bake for 45 minutes.
Serve fresh from the oven or double-down the moussaka recipe by making two at a time for easy meal prep.You can even store leftovers in the freezer for up to three months and reheat in the oven when ready to enjoy!
Paleo Moussaka with Cauliflower Béchamel
Paleo Moussaka with Cauliflower Béchamel
- Large Skillet
- 11x7” Casserole Dish
- Potato Peeler
For the Meat Sauce:
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 5 large tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup of water
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t dried oregano
For the Moussaka:
- 1 eggplant
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Béchamel Sauce:
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 t sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Cut the eggplant into thin round slices, then brown them with one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown, and set aside.
- For the Béchamel Sauce: Using the same skillet, add the onion, cauliflower florets, almond milk, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully add to a blender. Pulse until smooth and add the eggs one at a time. Then, set aside.
- For the Meat Sauce: Wipe your large skillet clean and heat the onion over medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Add the ground beef (cooking until the meat is fully browned) and stir in the tomatoes with water. Toss in the remaining garlic, cinnamon, and oregano.
- Cook over medium heat, and cover for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the sweet potato and slice it into thin rounds.
- For the Moussaka: Grease your casserole dish and arrange the eggplants in an even layer as the bottom base. Cover with half the meat sauce and add a layer of sweet potato rounds on top. Cover with remaining meat sauce and then top generously with béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top layer is golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here’s what we recommend:
Extra virgin olive oil (Sky Organics)
(You’ll Also Love: Mediterranean-Style Stuffed Spaghetti Squash)