Skip the carb-heavy nachos and dig into this savory Keto Tex-Mex Casserole with grass-fed beef!
This Tex-Mex casserole offers all the flavors you’d expect from nachos or tacos, but with a keto twist. Eliminating the corn tortilla chips, this recipe includes seasoned beef, hearty toppings, and a dairy-free cheese sauce. Layer and bake it in a casserole dish for an easy weekday meal that feeds a crowd. Best of all, it’s ready to serve in under an hour.
To avoid dairy, this recipe uses an easy cheese sauce made from nutritional yeast, almond milk, and gluten-free cassava flour. It’s a keto-friendly recipe you can make spicy by adding cumin and a pinch of cayenne. Add it to other recipes, like Paleo mac n’ cheese, or pair it over sautéed veggies or zucchini noodles.
Curious about ketosis?
Click here to get the FREE Easy Keto Guide to learn the right way to go keto!
To get started, brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium heat for 12 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the meat into small crumbles. Stir in cumin, paprika, and sea salt. Note: Don’t be alarmed if the beef isn’t fully cooked yet – it will finish cooking in the oven.
While the beef cooks, heat the ghee in a small saucepan over low heat for one minute. Whisk in the cassava flour, then gradually add in the almond milk. Stir in the nutritional yeast with sea salt and continue to whisk periodically. Allow it to simmer for five minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
Then, turn the heat off and pour the beef into a casserole dish. Scatter half the diced tomatoes on top and pour the sauce on top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. When complete, finish with the sliced avocado, the remaining tomatoes, and cilantro. Serve warm and enjoy!
Keto Tex Mex Casserole
Keto Tex Mex Casserole
- 8x8” casserole dish
- Medium skillet
- 2 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t sea salt
- 2 T ghee, plus more for greasing
- 2 T cassava flour
- 3 T nutritional yeast
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, divided
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and grease an oven-safe casserole dish with ghee. Brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium heat for 12 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the meat into small crumbles.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, and sea salt.
- While the beef cooks, heat the ghee in a small saucepan over low heat for one minute. Whisk in the cassava flour, then gradually whisk in the almond milk. Add in the nutritional yeast with the sea salt and continue whisking until the sauce thickens (it should take about five minutes). Turn the heat off and remove from the stove.
- Pour the beef into the casserole dish and scatter half of the diced tomatoes on top. Pour the sauce over the top and transfer to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with sliced avocado, remaining tomatoes, and cilantro. Serve warm and enjoy!
PS: Ketosis is most easily maintained on a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. Be sure to eat this meal on days when you haven’t had much protein in other meals.
(You’ll Also Love: 27 Easy Low Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes)