This chocolate cake is so unbelievably good that you’ll never guess it’s gluten-free, Paleo, and dairy-free!
Three decadent layers of chocolate cake are bound together by a creamy chocolate coconut frosting and topped with a smooth chocolate glaze to round it off. Does this sound like a slice of heaven or what?
Start creating the layers by baking three chocolate cakes. If you don’t have three round baking pans, you can simply use the same pan and bake the cakes in stages. To make the cake, beat the eggs with honey and water. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the almond meal, raw cacao powder, tapioca starch, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until you get a smooth cake batter. Pour the batter into parchment-lined round pans and bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cakes cool before running a knife along the edges of the pan to remove each one cleanly.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
To assemble the cake, place one cake on a large plate and spread half the frosting over the top. Add the second layer of cake, top with the remaining frosting, and add the final cake layer. Set the cake in the refrigerator to chill while you make the chocolate glaze. For the chocolate glaze, mix melted coconut oil with more raw cacao powder until combined, and then pour the glaze over the cake.
Set the cake back in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes. That way, you’ll be able to cut into the cake cleanly without it crumbling. Enjoy with a glass of your favorite dairy-free milk!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- 3 8-inch round baking pans
- Parchment paper
- Medium mixing bowl
- 2 Large mixing bowls
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup raw honey
- ¾ cup water
- 2 ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 ½ cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 5 cups coconut cream (solid part only)
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 T raw honey
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line each baking pan with parchment paper.
- To make the cake: In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with honey and water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, cacao powder, tapioca starch, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Whisk well to get a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter evenly among the three prepared baking pans. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the chocolate cakes cool completely before running a knife along the sides of the pan to remove.
- To make the frosting: Whisk all the frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Let the frosting chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Place a layer of chocolate cake on a large plate, spread half the frosting over the top, then add another layer of cake and top with the remaining frosting. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
- To make the glaze: Mix the raw cacao powder and melted coconut oil together until combined. Pour the glaze over the cake and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Raw honey (Bee Farms)
Almond meal (Barney)
Raw cacao powder (Healthworks)
Coconut flour (Nutiva)
Coconut cream (Native Forest)
Cold pressed coconut oil (Viva Naturals)
(You’ll Also Love: 61 Decadently Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Recipes)