This creamy sweet potato soup with crumbled bacon tastes like a loaded baked potato in a bowl!
A big, steaming bowl of this baked sweet potato soup is all it takes to keep you warm this season! With the natural sweetness from the tuber and the savory taste of crispy bacon, it makes for a nourishing lunch or a healthy light dinner.
Begin by roasting the sweet potatoes until they can be easily poked with a fork. Meanwhile, sauté the bacon in olive oil until it’s crispy and crumble it into small pieces. Set the bacon aside. In the same skillet, sauté diced onions and minced garlic until the onions are translucent. Add four cups of water and reduce the heat to low, letting the ingredients simmer for about 20 minutes.
Coconut Oil has hundreds of health benefits - learn how you can experience them with our FREE guide to Coconut Oil & its benefits.
Click Here to get your FREE Copy!
Once the sweet potatoes are fully roasted, let them cool, then remove the skins and add the sweet potato flesh to the skillet. Let the soup simmer for about ten more minutes before processing everything in an electric blender until you get a smooth, creamy soup.
To serve, add a little coconut cream and ladle into bowls, topping with the crumbled bacon and freshly chopped parsley.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Large skillet
- Blender or food processor
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 1 lb in total)
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 50 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the bacon strips until crispy on both sides. Remove bacon from pan, cool, and crumble into small pieces; set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté diced onions and minced garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water and bring the heat down to low, letting the ingredients simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done roasting, slice them into half lengthwise, remove the skins and cut into small cubes.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in the skillet with the rest of the ingredients. Stir and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the ingredients into the blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the skillet and add the coconut cream, mixing well until heated through.
- Divide the soup between two bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley and crumbled bacon.
Tip: For a completely vegan soup, omit the bacon and top with chopped almonds instead!
(You’ll Also Love: 32 Cozy Paleo Soup Recipes)