Sweet potatoes are so much more than fries or a tasty side dish. They also make a delicious Sweet Potato Soufflé! A show-stopping dessert that’s grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and guaranteed to be loved by all.
Soufflés have a reputation for being temperamental, but they’re actually quite simple. The secret is in the egg whites. They need to be as fluffy as clouds, or “stiff peaked,” to make a soufflé puff on the outside and become thick and dense on the inside while it bakes. Getting the egg whites just right guarantees you will get the perfect soufflé every time.
Believe me, you want to test your soufflé-making skills because this Sweet Potato Soufflé is like no other. It’s lightly sweetened with maple syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon, and has a decadent egg, coconut flour, coconut milk and sweet potato base that makes the creamiest center. It literally melts-in-your-mouth.
Then there’s the nutty topping of finely chopped pecans and walnuts giving this sweet potato soufflé the right amount of crunch in every bite. That crunch is the perfect complement to that sweet and creamy inside. I also dusted the top with coconut sugar to make the crust a bit sweet, but feel free to experiment with different toppings (like shredded coconut)!
To eat your decadent soufflé, top with a generous portion of blended coconut cream or dairy-free ice cream for a dessert you can’t say no to. Also, eating this for breakfast is completely acceptable, if not highly recommended!
Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe
Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1 T butter (for dairy-free use coconut oil)
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 T coconut flour
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t cinnamon
- ¼ t salt
- 1 T finely chopped pecans
- 1 T finely chopped walnuts
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Coconut sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 1½ quart soufflé baking dish with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium-low heat. Add butter and coconut flour to the pan, whisking until combined. Slowly add the coconut milk while continuing to whisk until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the mashed maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, sweet potatoes and egg yolks into the mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add egg whites and mix with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold eggs whites into the sweet potato mixture. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish. Add finely chopped pecans and walnuts evenly on top of the soufflé. Sprinkle a bit of coconut sugar on top.
- Bake 30 minutes until the top is lightly browned and puffed.
- Serve immediately with coconut cream or dairy-free ice cream.
(You’ll Also Love: Blackberry Coconut Soufflé)
Black Forest Cake with Silky Chocolate Icing… and it’s 100% Paleo Friendly!
Black Forest Cake with
Silky Chocolate Icing…
and it’s 100% Paleo