Containing zero grains or corn – these spinach tortillas are made with just five Paleo-friendly ingredients!
Creating a Paleo-friendly tortilla for wrapping and filling with your favorite Paleo ingredients is easy with these homemade tortillas. Fresh spinach gives these tortillas their natural color and a dose of antioxidants while cassava flour stands in for corn and wheat. The result is a soft grain-free tortilla that’s pliable enough to bend and wrap up any of your fillings.
Start by combining spinach and water in a small pot over medium heat. Heat until the spinach is wilted. Transfer the mixture to a blender and purée. Combine the puréed spinach along with cassava flour, sea salt, and avocado oil. Mix until a dough forms. Add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of water if the dough is too dry.
Love Coconut Flour Recipes? Then you’ll love our FREE Coconut Flour Recipes.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Coconut Flour Recipes!
Next, divide the mixture into four balls and press each ball into a round tortilla between two sheets of parchment paper. Make sure that it is as thin as possible. Heat a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes until very hot. Place one tortilla in the skillet and cook for two minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Store in an airtight container or BPA-free bag to keep the tortillas from drying out.
Tip: Loosely wrap the tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to hold in the steam and keep them soft while cooking the remaining tortillas.
Just a few ways to use these spinach tortillas:
- Slice the tortillas into triangles and bake until crisp for tortilla chips!
- Fill them with cashew cheese for Paleo-friendly quesadillas.
- Serve them with sheet pan portobello mushroom fajitas for dinner.
Homemade Spinach Tortillas
Homemade Spinach Tortillas
- Medium mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Small pot
- Medium skillet
- Parchment paper
- 5 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 cups cassava flour
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 3 T avocado oil or melted ghee
- Combine a 1/2 cup water and spinach in a pot over medium heat covered. Heat just long enough to wilt the spinach, about 5 minutes. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until puréed.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cassava flour, sea salt, avocado oil and puréed spinach. Mix thoroughly to form a dough. Add an extra 2 tablespoons of water at a time if the dough is too dry.
- Divide the dough into four equal balls. Place a ball of dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll the ball into a very thin, flat tortilla. Remove from the parchment paper and set aside. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place the tortilla on the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side. For a crispier tortilla, heat for 3-5 minutes.
Watch the Recipe Video Below!
(You’ll Also Love: 3-Minute Blender Tortillas – No Rolling Required)