Mexican food may seem a bit out of reach on the Paleo diet, but this Paleo Enchiladas recipe uses grain-free tortillas to recreate an all time favorite.
A simple homemade sauce is so easy to make, we’re sure you’ll love this little Mexican fiesta dish!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 T coconut flour
- 2 t coconut oil
- 1 t arrowroot powder
- ¼ t sea salt
- coconut oil or butter for pan
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 T chili powder
- ½ t cumin
- ¼ t dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- For the Tortillas:
- Combine the eggs, almond milk, coconut flour, coconut oil, arrowroot powder, and sea salt together in a small bowl and mix well. Allow the batter to sit for 10 minutes and then stir again. The consistency should be similar to crepe batter.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over a medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the pan.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, flip and cook another minute until lightly browned.
- Place tortilla onto a plate and repeat with the remaining batter adding a little more oil to the pan every 3-4 tortillas or if they begin to start sticking. Set tortillas aside. You should end with about 10 tortillas.
- For the Sauce:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Sauté 1/2 of the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Season to taste with salt. If desired, pour sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Prepare the Meat:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté other 1/2 of the onion for 4-5 minutes until soft. Stir in the ground beef and jalapeno and season with salt and pepper. Cook 8-10 minutes until the meat is browned, then remove from heat.
- Stir in a few spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce to coat the meat.
- To Assemble:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with a thin layer of the enchilada sauce.
- Fill each tortilla with the meat mixture and roll over. Place the tortillas in the baking dish side by side.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately, topped with avocado and cilantro.
(You’ll Also Love: Cheesy Chicken Paleo Quesadillas)
Want to go Paleo? Not sure where to start?
Start with this FREE Paleo For Beginners Guide Today!