Sweet pears, apples, and pomegranate seeds get baked to crisp perfection in this easy, guilt-free recipe.
We love indulging in warm and toasty desserts during the holiday season. But while most recipes use an overload of sugars and gluten, this fruity bake does the opposite.
Instead of using processed sugar, this recipe uses a combination of Paleo-friendly coconut sugar and honey. As it bakes, the flavors meld together to form a caramelized glaze that marinates and tenderizes the fruit. Added walnuts offer a crunchy, nutty flavor while boosting omega-rich nutrients.
It’s not just a sweetener -- it’s medicine, too! Discover The Benefits of Nature’s Superfood: Honey
Click here to get your FREE copy of our Honey Guide!
To get started, toss the sliced apples, pears, and pomegranate seeds together with fresh lemon juice. In a medium bowl, mix the melted ghee, coconut sugar, honey, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg together. Pour the ghee mixture over the fruits and toss well until the fruits are completely coated.
Next, transfer the fruit mixture into a casserole dish and top with chopped walnuts. Bake in the oven for one hour, or until the fruits becomes bubbly and tender, covering with aluminum foil after the first 30 minutes to keep the moisture in. Once ready, add the remaining pomegranate seeds on top and sprinkle on the ground cinnamon. Serve warm and enjoy!
- For easier prep, combine the ingredients in a casserole dish one day in advance. Store in the refrigerator and bake the following day. If you prefer a cool refreshing treat, you can also serve it chilled!
- Compliment this dish with a dollop of sweet and cool coconut cream.
Dreamy Hot Spiced Fruit Bake
Dreamy Hot Spiced Fruit Bake
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large casserole dish
- 3 cups sliced Granny Smith apples
- 3 cups sliced Bosc pears
- 1½ cup pomegranate seeds, divided
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 4 T melted ghee
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 T honey
- 1 t ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
- ¼ t ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the sliced apples, pears, and half of the pomegranate seeds together with the lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted ghee, coconut sugar, honey, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg together.
- Add the ghee mixture in with the fruits and mix well until evenly coated.
- Transfer the fruit into a casserole dish and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top, then place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, covering with aluminum foil after the first 30 minutes to keep the moisture in. You’ll know it’s ready when it becomes bubbly and tender.
- When finished, top with the remaining pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. Serve warm and enjoy!
(You’ll Also Love: Pineapple Fruit Salsa with Strawberries, Blueberries & Kiwis)