Brighten up your dinner plate with this pillowy Beet Gnocchi topped with walnuts, mint, and fresh lovage.
This gluten-free dish takes homemade gnocchi to a whole new level! Instead of using traditional potatoes, this Paleo-friendly recipe swaps in beets for color. Added lovage adds a pop of green for garnish while boosting anti-inflammatory properties. (1) If you don’t have lovage, feel free to use fresh parsley instead.
Beets are loaded with properties that can help lower blood pressure and decrease inflammation in the body. As a high-fiber food, beets can also help detox the body, and even boost athletic performance. Look for beets with greens still intact and a texture that is firm and reddish-purple in color.
Trying to figure out exactly what to eat on Paleo? Look no further than our FREE 21 Day Paleo Meal Plan.
Grab Our FREE Paleo Meal Plan By Clicking Here!
To get started, remove the greens from the beets and rinse before roasting. Wrap each beet in tin foil and roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Note: Take caution when working with beets since they are quite messy and prone to staining.
Next, peel off the skin and chop the beets into chunks. Place them into a food processor with lemon juice and add garlic. Toss in one tablespoon of olive oil, making sure you reserve the rest for later. Blend until smooth and then set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and stir in the tapioca starch, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined and then add to the food processor. Blend until it becomes a soft sticky dough.
Transfer to a clean surface (remember, beets stain, so use a surface you can easily clean) and lightly dust with additional tapioca starch. Knead the dough with your hands for five minutes, adding more starch if the dough is too sticky. Note: Be careful not to add too much starch since it may cause your gnocchi to be too tough and hard to eat. Roll the dough into a 16-inch log and cut into 48 equal pieces, roughly measuring ⅓-inch for each slice. Form each slice into a ball and gently press down on them with a fork to create a mark.
When ready to cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add gnocchi. Wait for them to float to the top (about five minutes) and continue to boil for an additional minute. When ready, use a slotted spoon to scoop them out and place them onto a large dish. Add the remaining olive oil and minced garlic on top, then garnish with fresh lovage, mint, and walnuts. Serve warm and enjoy!
Beet Gnocchi with Walnuts + Lemon Mint
Beet Gnocchi with Walnuts + Lemon Mint
- Large pot
- Large mixing bowl
- Food processor
- 4 small beets
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 large pasture-raised egg
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup lovage, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and place them on a baking pan. Roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes, then remove and let cool.
- Peel off the skin and chop the beets into small chunks. Transfer to a food processor along with lemon juice, garlic cloves, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg and stir in the tapioca starch, salt, and black pepper. Add the mixture to the food processor and blend with the beet mixture. Pulse until a sticky dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough onto a clean surface and lightly dust with tapioca starch. Knead with your hands until smooth and add 1 extra tablespoon of tapioca starch, if needed.
- Make a ball and roll it out into a 16-inch log. Cut the log into 48 equal pieces, roughly ⅓-inch for each slice.
- Roll each slice into a ball and gently score each one with the tip of a fork.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the gnocchi. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to float to the top. Let them boil for 1 additional minute before removing.
- Place the gnocchi in a dish and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil. Top with mint, lovage, and walnuts, then serve and enjoy!
Tip: For a crispier texture: After boiling, sauté the gnocchi with olive oil on a pan for 30 seconds on each side.
Try these other Paleo beet recipes: