Valentine’s day goes hand in hand with sweet, sugary desserts and candies. If you are cooking up something special for your sweetheart, this healthier Paleo version of chocolate lava cake will have them swooning in no time.
Dark chocolate and almond butter create an indulgent texture and flavor in this flourless chocolate lava cake recipe. Best of all, you don’t have to share – the recipe makes two rich and chocolatey cakes, perfect for a Valentine date night in.
Dark chocolate is known for its antioxidant and flavonol properties. This decadent treat also contains half the amount of sugar as milk chocolate and is higher in iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and zinc. This is because dark chocolate contains higher concentrations of cocoa, while other varieties are full of additives and sugar. Be sure to purchase dark chocolate that contains 70% cocoa.
Love almond flour recipes? Get our free almond flour recipe cookbook here!
Another bonus? This lava cake is flourless. Eggs bind with cocoa powder and almond meal to create a cake-like texture. The cakes are cooked just long enough to create a solid outside and decadent, gooey chocolate inside. If you don’t have ramekins, you can cook your cakes in a wide shallow mug, which is exactly what I did for this recipe. I was a bit intimidated trying this recipe out, but I found it surprisingly effortless to put together. It’s a very fancy dessert (that’s secretly easy to make) to share on not only Valentine’s day but for any special night in.
Paleo Chocolate Lava Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2 T cocoa powder, divided
- 3 T coconut oil
- 2 T creamy almond butter
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T honey
- 1 T almond meal
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat ramekins or 2 mugs with a little bit of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of the cocoa powder
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave at 30 seconds increments, stir each time until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, almond butter, honey and vanilla extract. Mix using a hand mixer for 4 minutes. Mixture should be fluffy.
- Pour melted chocolate into egg mixture, stirring as you pour.
- Gently stir in almond meal and 1 tbsp of cocoa powder.
- Divide batter among ramekins or mugs.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. If you are using small ramekins, they may be done closer to ten minutes and closer to 12 minutes for a larger ramekin or mug.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 3 minutes. Gently slide a sharp knife around edges of cake to loosen.
- Put a small plate on top of mug and carefully flip over to remove cakes. You can also carefully scoop them out with a large spoon.
Watch the Video Recipe Below!