Chipotle burrito bowl addicts of the world: Behold, the best health hack for your favorite meal.
These chicken fajitas are seared beautifully on the outside while tender and juicy on the inside. The Ancho chile marinade is so bright, zesty and spicy you’ll want to douse everything in it like hot sauce. The fajitas, complete with tender-crisp bell peppers and onions, blanket nutrient-dense cilantro lime cauliflower rice for a filling and healthful dinner.
Garnish with extra lime and cilantro then smother with salsa and guacamole.
Prep Time:1 hour
Cook Time:30 minutes
- 1 ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken leg meat (breast, tenders, or thigh meat acceptable too)
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 4 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t cumin
- 2 ½ t Ancho chile powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head cauliflower, pulsed in a food processor or hand-grated
How To Make It:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the juice of two limes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, minced garlic, one teaspoon cumin, one and a half teaspoons Ancho chile powder, one quarter cup cilantro, salt and pepper.
2. Slice chicken meat into evenly sized tenders (careful not to slice it too small! You don’t want to overcook it.) In the bowl, coat the chicken in marinade. Place plastic wrap over bowl and set aside to marinate at room temperature for one hour. (Feel free to marinate chicken in the fridge up to 8 hours before).
3. While chicken marinates, wash and slice cauliflower into large chunks. Hand-grate or pulse the chunks in a food processor until you achieve a rice-like texture. Use this time to slice bell peppers and onion. Set prepped vegetables aside.
4. After chicken has marinated, coat a large cast-iron skillet in high-temperature Paleo cooking oil of choice. Pan-fry chicken in batches over medium heat for five minutes a side or until chicken is cooked through. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Keep cooked chicken under foil.
5. When done pan-frying chicken, pan-fry bell peppers and onion in same pan.
6. In the last ten minutes before serving, cook cauliflower rice in olive oil. Stir in lime juice, chile powder, cilantro, salt and pepper.
7. Combine bell peppers, onions and chicken. Serve over cauliflower rice. Optional: top with salsa, guacamole, lime and cilantro.