Upgrade your favorite red velvet cake to these gluten-free crinkle cookies made with beetroot purée.
Naturally dairy-free, these irresistible cookies are perfectly portioned to satisfy any sweet craving. Simple to make, they’re ready to serve in just one hour and pair well with your favorite coffee or tea.
For that signature red velvet coloring, we use beetroot purée to nix the artificial food dyes and replace with it something more antioxidant-rich. (1) Along with adding a bit of depth and complexity, beetroots are a versatile veggie that can be naturally sweetened with coconut sugar and a bit of raw cacao for a rich fudgy taste.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
To get started, mix the almond meal, ¾ cup tapioca starch, cacao powder, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Continue stirring until you get a light frothy mixture, then add in the beetroot purée. Whisk until the mixture becomes vibrant and purple.
Next, sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk into a thick wet dough. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, then remove once firm. Scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a small ball. Set it onto a plate and continue forming more balls with the remaining dough.
Once the balls are complete, toss each one in the remaining tapioca starch. Tap off any excess starch and place them onto a prepared baking sheet about two inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes at 350°F or until the tops are cracked and slightly firm. When finished, allow the cookies to cool completely (about 20 minutes) before removing them from the sheet. Serve immediately and enjoy or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Tip: You can make the dough beforehand and freeze it for up to a month. When ready to bake, let it thaw, roll the dough into balls, and coat them with tapioca starch before baking.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Large baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 ¼ cup tapioca starch, divided
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 t baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup beetroot purée
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, ¾ cup tapioca starch, cacao powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, eggs, and vanilla extract together. Add the beetroot purée last and mix well to create a vibrant purple mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk well until you get a thick brownie-like batter.
- Allow the batter to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until it is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When chilling is complete, scoop out one tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball between the palms of your hands. Set the ball on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Toss the dough balls in the remaining tapioca starch, then tap off any excess.
- Place the coated balls onto the prepared baking sheet in one single layer and at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops are cracked and slightly firm.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely (about 20 minutes) before removing them from the cookie sheet.
- Serve immediately and enjoy or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Almond meal (Barney)
Tapioca flour (Authentic Foods)
Raw cacao powder (Healthworks)
Baking powder (Hain)
Cold pressed coconut oil (Viva Naturals)
Apple cider vinegar (Bragg)
Vanilla extract (Frontier)
(You’ll Also Love: Be-Mine Strawberry Valentine Brownies)