Add a healthy twist to your meal with these crispy Plantain Burger Buns, pan-cooked to golden perfection.
If you’ve ever tried Cuban-style tostones (aka fried plantains), then you’ll love this recipe! Combining only three ingredients, this dish is completely gluten-free and easy to make. It’s subtle sweet flavor compliments savory burger patties with a tropical twist. Best part is, you don’t even need to turn on the oven.
Plantains are naturally starchy and hold up exceptionally well when pan-frying or baking. Similar to bananas, they’re high in potassium and fiber, while packing in plenty of probiotics. Peak ripeness occurs when their yellow peels have brown or black marks, but even a black plantain is fully acceptable here. The peel of a plantain is usually tough and sometimes requires scoring with a sharp knife to remove. On the inside, the flesh should be firm and ready for mashing into “buns”, without needing to add in any eggs.
Love Paleo Breakfasts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Breakfast Recipes.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Breakfast Recipes!
Arrowroot powder helps absorb some of the plantain’s moisture. It adds a crispy texture to the buns while adding enough elasticity to pile on the toppings. Use it to thicken the mashed plantains and to withstand high-temperature cooking. If you don’t have any on hand, use tapioca starch or cassava flour instead.
To get started, lightly mash the plantain in a medium mixing bowl. Avoid over-mashing the mixture by ensuring it’s not too moist and leaving it a bit chunky. Next, stir in the arrowroot flour and divide the mixture into two equal halves. Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat for one minute. Place the two mounds of plantain mixture onto the hot skillet and use a spatula to shape into buns, slightly larger than burger patties. Cook for eight minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve warm and enjoy or prep ahead of time for more servings.
Optional serving suggestions:
- Add a grass-fed burger patty
- Add a fried egg and bacon
- Serve alone as fritters topped with salsa
- Top with a scoop of Paleo chili
Golden Plantain Burger Buns
Golden Plantain Burger Buns
- Medium mixing bowl
- Medium skillet
- 1 large plantain
- 1 T arrowroot powder
- 1 t ghee or coconut oil for cooking
- Mash the plantain in a medium mixing bowl. It’s OK if the plantain is still a little chunky.
- Stir in the arrowroot flour and divide the mixture in half equally.
- Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat for one minute. Scoop two heaping mounds of plantain mixture onto a hot skillet and use a spatula to shape into burger buns. Cook for eight minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
You’ll Also Love: Golden Cauliflower Turmeric Flatbread Recipe