Tone, sculpt, and strengthen your body with this easy dumbbell workout.
If you’re new to a strength training routine, lightweight dumbbells are a great and safe way to begin. They’ll help ease you into working your muscles just hard enough so that you can break down your muscle fibers and rebuild on your rest days.
Use this light total body dumbbell routine to safely build long, lean muscles. Practice these exercises back-to-back, resting for 30-60 seconds in between each one. The last few reps of each exercise should feel challenging.
Looking for an easy way to get started working out?
Grab our FREE Beginners Workout Guide - 3 Weeks To Tighter Abs, Sculpted Arms, And Toned Legs, by clicking here!
At the end of the circuit, rest for two or three minutes, then repeat the circuit for a total of 2-3 sets. After a couple of weeks, increase to 4-5 sets. We recommend performing this workout two or three times per week to start.
For this workout, you’ll need your 5lb dumbbells and an exercise mat.
Light Dumbbell Full Body Workout
Squats | 15 reps
This exercise will tone and tighten your quadriceps and glutes.
- Start standing up with your feet slightly wider than hip-width distance and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Point your toes slightly outward and engage your abs.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together and keep a straight back as you inhale and bend your knees back into a squat.
- On your exhale, press through your heels and straighten out your legs to stand back up. Squeeze your glutes at the top. Repeat for 15 reps.
Deadlifts | 15 reps
Give your booty a boost and tone your hamstrings with this dumbbell exercise.
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart and your toes pointing straight ahead. Hold a dumbbell in each hand in front of your hips and engage your abs.
- Keeping your back straight, inhale to hinge at your hips and slide the dumbbells down the fronts of your thighs until they are right at knee height or a little lower. You should feel a stretch through your hamstrings.
- Squeeze your glutes and exhale to stand all the way back up. Repeat for 15 reps.
Lunges | 10 reps per side
Get your heart rate up with this exercise that strengthens your legs and core.
- Stand with your feet together. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and straighten your arms down alongside your body.
- Inhale to take a big step forward with your right foot. Then, bend both knees towards 90 degrees, hovering your left knee an inch above the ground. Keep your right knee right above your ankle.
- Exhale to press step your right foot back to meet your left.
- Switch legs, then continue alternating for 10 reps per side.
Bent Over Rows | 15 reps
Use this classic dumbbell exercise to strengthen your back and core.
- Stand with a dumbbell in each hand. Engage your abs and bring a little bend into your knees.
- Keep your back straight and hinge at the hips, bringing your torso parallel to the ground. Hold the dumbbells down towards the floor, but keep your shoulder blades drawing together.
- Exhale to bend your elbows and pull the dumbbells up to your ribs. Your elbows should point toward the sky.
- Inhale to straighten your arms back down towards the floor.
- Repeat for 15 reps.
Chest Press | 15 reps
Reduce pesky armpit fat and tone your chest and shoulders with this exercise.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor. Hold your dumbbells in your hands and lift them up towards the sky.
- Pick your feet up and cross your ankles, bringing your shins parallel to the ground. Engage your lower abs.
- Inhale to bend your elbows to 90 degrees, then exhale to straighten your arms out again. Repeat for 15 reps.
Alternating Shoulder Press | 10 reps per side
Focusing on lifting one arm at a time will help tone and sculpt your shoulders.
- For this exercise, you can either kneel on your mat or stand with your feet hip-width distance apart. Hold a weight in each hand.
- Lift your arms up and bend your elbows to 90 degrees, stacking wrists over elbows.
- Exhale to straighten your right arm up overhead, coming into a shoulder press. Inhale to lower it back down. Repeat with your left arm.
- Continue alternating for 10 reps per side.
Biceps Curls | 15 reps
Tone and strengthen your biceps with these classic curls.
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and straighten your arms down by your sides with your palms facing forward. Engage your abs.
- On an exhale, bend your elbows and curl the dumbbells up towards your shoulders. You should feel the front of your upper arms working.
- Inhale to straighten your arms back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for 15 reps.
Triceps Extensions | 15 reps
Sculpt your triceps using this simple exercise.
- Stand with your feet together. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and bring a small bend into your knees.
- Keeping a straight back, hinge at your hips to bring your torso parallel to the ground. Bend your elbows to 90 degrees and lift your upper arms in line with your ribs.
- Exhale as you lift the dumbbells back and straighten your arms. Flex your triceps.
- Inhale to bring your elbows back to 90 degrees. Repeat for 15 reps.
(Your Next Workout: 15 Easy Exercises to Build Functional Arm Strength)