Can we love animals and still eat meat? Former vegan Lierre Keith, farmer, activist and author of The Vegetarian Myth, says that eating meat isn’t just a choice, it is vital to our survival.
In this podcast, Lierre breaks down how we’ve evolved to require meat in order to thrive. She talks about how being a former vegan destroyed her body, affected her moods and permanently damaged her health.
Practicing veganism doesn’t only affect our individual health, Lierre says. Modern agriculture has messed up our entire eco-system: rivers, fish, even soil. Luckily, there are ways to do our part to mend our system.
- 5:00: How being a vegetarian “wore out” Lierre’s body and mind through constant insulin crashes and joint problems.
- 8:00: Why the vegan diet can affect your mineral absorption.
- 9:30: How grains are “pre-loaded” with ways to harm us.
- 13:00: The evolutionary reasons why we need to fuel our brains with nutrient-dense food.
- 17:00: Fire has shaped our evolution, dictating our teeth and digestion.
- 20:00: What are “obligate carnivores”? Why are supplements not enough?
- 26:30: How modern agriculture has “skinned the planet alive”.
- 30:00: We have Paleolithic bodies. We need to eat Paleolithic foods.
- 40:50: Agriculture made us destructive to the planet.
- 42:30: Grass-fed beef and bison is a “mono food” – it has everything we need!
Watch the Episode Below!
If you enjoyed this podcast, never miss the latest health news by subscribing to The PaleoHacks Show on your favorite podcast app and leaving a review for us on iTunes. This helps us spread the word and create better, bigger content for you!
Connect with Lierre
Paleohacks on iTunes
Paleohacks Podcast RSS Feed
Listen to us on Stitcher
The Paleohacks YouTube Channel