These Zesty Paleo Coconut Lime Muffins are a healthier-for-you, low-carb treat. Lightly sweetened, thick, and creamy, these muffins are perfect for breakfast—or as a snack!
One of my biggest baking challenges is striking the balance between healthy and delicious. Some healthy ingredients can taste rather bland, if not paired with the right flavors.
But I’m going to let you in on a little secret: Thanks to the magic of fresh citrus, you can enhance those otherwise bland flavors. Think lemon, lime, or orange. Those perky flavors add just the right amount of sweetness to anything.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
For these Paleo Coconut Lime Muffins, lime was my citrus of choice, but truthfully, any citrus would work beautifully in this recipe. Due to the combination of eggs, coconut milk, and applesauce, these muffins are thick and creamy. They’re lightly sweetened with honey and shredded coconut—just the way I like them. And the citrus from the lime enhances that sweetness and really makes them pop!
When you do your prep, don’t be surprised if you see a small chemical reaction taking place in your bowl—as you mix the lime juice with the other wet ingredients. That’s what you want to see; then you’ll get that fresh, bubbly, sweet citrus-y taste!
These Paleo Coconut Lime Muffins are super-simple to make. They take just five minutes to prepare. From there, all you do is transfer them to your muffin tin and patiently wait as they bake. You’ll be tempted to eat all of them when they come out of the oven (and I don’t blame you), but I recommend letting them completely cool before devouring.
I’ve found they’re best after being refrigerated for a few hours. It allows that sweet citrus to really marry with the other ingredients. Then you’ll get bright flavors with every bite!
Coconut Lime Muffins
Coconut Lime Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 T honey
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 T applesauce
- 5 T lime juice
- The zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (and 2 T for sprinkling)
- 1 t baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a muffin tin with liners or nonstick cooking spray.
- Place eggs, applesauce, coconut milk, honey, vanilla extract, lime juice, and lime zest into a large bowl or standing mixer. Then mix until thick and frothy.
- Add the almond flour, shredded coconut, and baking soda to the batter. Then mix to combine. Do not overmix.
- Transfer to the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle more shredded coconut on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes (or until cooked and slightly brown around the edges). Allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, then gently remove and transfer to wire rack to cool further.
- In an airtight container, store in the refrigerator up to one week.
(You’ll Also Love: Key Lime Cheesecake Bites)