Slice into this dreamy pie made with sweet potatoes, chocolate, and a dollop of coconut cream!
If you’re looking for the perfect chocolatey pie, we’ve got you covered. This decadent dessert is made with a crispy almond flour crust and a smooth filling. The filling boasts a silky combo of sweet potato purée, raw cacao and honey for an extra creamy texture.
To get started, stir together the almond flour, eggs, and a quarter cup of the tapioca starch in a large mixing bowl. Mix into a sticky dough, then add in the remaining tapioca starch one tablespoon at a time. You’ll want to ease in the starch so that the dough is no longer sticky and easier to handle.
Next, use your hands to knead the dough, then roll it into a small flat disc. Dust two pieces of parchment paper with extra tapioca and sandwich the dough in between. Continue rolling the dough into a disc that’s slightly larger than the size of your pie pan.
Love Paleo Desserts? Then you’ll love our FREE Paleo Dessert Cookbook.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Dessert Recipes!
Then, remove the parchment paper and place the rolled dough over the pie pan. Press it gently into the base and sides of the pan. Cut the excess edges with scissors, then bake the crust for 25 minutes. When ready, let the crust cool completely while you make the filling.
For the final steps, place all the filling ingredients in a blender and pulse until you have a thick, creamy mixture. Pour the filling into the cooled crust, using a spatula to spread and smooth out the top. Let the pie chill in the freezer for one hour, or until the filling is firm in the center. Slice and top with coconut cream and chocolate shavings, then serve and enjoy!
Tip: If you prefer not to use coconut milk, simply swap it out for any other non-dairy milk in the same amount.
Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie
Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie
- 9-inch round pie pan
- Large mixing bowl
- High-speed blender
For the Crust:
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup tapioca starch, divided
For the Filling:
- 2 cups sweet potato purée
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- ¼ t salt
- Coconut cream, for topping
- Chocolate shavings, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a round pie pan with coconut oil.
- To Make the Crust: In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, eggs, and 1/4 cup of tapioca starch. Mix until you get a thick, sticky mixture, then add the remaining tapioca starch one tablespoon at a time. Mix well until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Use your hands to knead the dough, then roll into a small flat disc. Dust two sheets of parchment paper with extra tapioca and sandwich the dough in between. Continue rolling the dough into a disc, slightly larger than the base of your pie pan.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the rolled dough on top of the pan. Press it down so that it fits the base and sides of the pan. Use scissors to cut off the excess dough.
- Bake the crust for 25 minutes, or until golden and firm to touch. When finished, remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
- To Make the Filling: In a blender, combine the sweet potato purée, honey, coconut oil, coconut milk, cacao powder, and salt. Pulse for a few minutes until you get a thick, creamy mixture. If needed, scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Once the crust has cooled, remove it from the pan and place it onto a plate. Pour the filling into the crust and use a spatula to spread and smooth the top. Chill the pie in the freezer for at least 1 hour or until the filling is firm.
- When the pie is ready, slice and top with a dollop of coconut cream. Sprinkle on the chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Watch the Recipe Video Below!
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Almond flour (Hodgson Mill)
Raw honey (Bee Farms)
Cold pressed coconut oil (Viva Naturals)
Coconut milk (Native Forest)
Raw cacao powder (Healthworks)
Coconut cream (Native Forest)
(You’ll Also Love: 45 Pie Recipes So Delicious That No One Will Know They’re Gluten-Free)
Black Forest Cake with Silky Chocolate Icing… and it’s 100% Paleo Friendly!
Black Forest Cake with
Silky Chocolate Icing…
and it’s 100% Paleo