Step up your breakfast game with this decadent combo of prosciutto-wrapped asparagus cooked to crispy perfection and dipped in a rich, soft boiled egg.
Cooking eggs using the soft boiled method results in the whites of the egg being cooked while the yolk remains runny and ideal for dipping. I tried many variations of the soft boiled egg while creating this recipe, and I found this one to be the most foolproof. First, fill a saucepan with 1 inch of water and bring it to a gentle boil. Place the eggs in the water and cover with a lid. Set your timer for 6 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare an ice bath. Once the 6 minutes are up, gently remove the eggs from the boiling water and place into the ice bath for 5 minutes. Cooking the eggs like this allows them to steam in the pot and cook just the whites. Now you can peel the top of the egg and spoon out the top layer of egg whites to reveal the creamy yolk.
My favorite part of this recipe is the strips of prosciutto wrapped around asparagus spears. The veggie-meat “breadsticks” then get sautéed to crisp up the prosciutto and lightly cook the asparagus. Make sure to use thick asparagus to ensure they can hold the prosciutto and stay sturdy when cooked.
Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Dipped in Soft Boiled Eggs
- 10 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 10 slices of prosciutto, halved lengthwise
- 2 eggs
- 1 T olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a saucepan with 1 inch of water. Bring water to a low boil. Carefully add eggs and cover with lid. Boil 6 minutes.
- While eggs are boiling, wrap pieces of prosciutto around each asparagus spear until covered. Set aside.
- Remove eggs from water and immediately place into an ice bath for 5 minutes.
- While eggs are cooling down, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Place prosciutto-wrapped asparagus on pan and cook 3 minutes. Turn asparagus over and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Peel the top of each egg and slice open with a spoon to expose soft yolk. Serve asparagus spears with soft boiled eggs.
(You’ll Also Love: Prosciutto-Wrapped Avocado Egg)