Dig into this hearty casserole packed with creamy twice-baked sweet potatoes and crispy bacon bits.
For a twist on the humble casserole dish, layers of mashed sweet potatoes and creamy cashew cheese infuse with crispy bacon bits. It’s the perfect savory dish to feed a large crowd.
To get started, bake the sweet potatoes for 50 minutes or until they are tender enough to mash. In the meantime, fry the bacon strips and chop them into bits. Save the bacon oil for later and set aside. When the sweet potatoes are ready, mix them in a medium mixing bowl with one and a half teaspoons salt, one teaspoon garlic powder, and black pepper.
Love slow cooker recipes?
Click here to get your FREE copy of our delicious Slow-Cooker Recipes!
Next, prepare the cashew cheese by blending the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, turmeric, remaining garlic powder and salt, and water in a blender. Pulse until you get a thick and homogeneous mixture and set aside.
Assemble the casserole by layering a third of the mashed sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Add half of the cashew cheese as the second layer. Sprinkle a third of the bacon bits on top and repeat.
Finally, mix the rest of the mashed sweet potatoes with the bacon oil, then transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a star tip. Swirl the mashed sweet potatoes on top, then bake the casserole until the peaks turn brown. Sprinkle the rest of the bacon and chopped parsley over the casserole. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tip: If you want to make this completely vegetarian, simply substitute the bacon for crispy chopped Paleo croutons.
Twice-Baked Sweet Potato Bacon Casserole
Twice-Baked Sweet Potato Bacon Casserole
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large skillet
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large casserole dish
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes
- 2 ½ t salt, divided
- 1 ½ t garlic powder, divided
- ¾ t black pepper
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- ½ cup water
- 4 T nutritional yeast
- ¼ t ground turmeric
- 1 lb thick-cut bacon strips
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the pan and bake for 60 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In the meantime, fry the bacon strips in a large skillet over medium-high for 7 minutes on each side. Reserve the bacon fat and place the cooked strips on a plate lined with paper towels. Cut them into small bits and set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, let them cool enough so you can peel them. Place into a medium mixing bowl and mash them into a smooth purée. Mix in 1½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and black pepper, then set aside.
- In a blender, add the soaked cashews, water, nutritional yeast, ground turmeric, the remaining garlic powder and salt. Pulse until you get a thick homogeneous mixture, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Use a tablespoon of bacon fat to grease the casserole dish. Add in 1/3 of the mashed sweet potatoes and flatten it with a spatula to create an even layer. Layer ½ of the cashew mixture on top and spread evenly over the sweet potatoes. Top it with 1/3 of the bacon bits, then repeat the pattern one more time.
- Add 2 tablespoons of bacon fat to the remaining sweet potatoes and mix well. Transfer into a piping bag with a star tip and swirl them on top of the bacon bits.
- Place the casserole into the oven and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Garnish with the remaining bacon bits and chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Looking for Paleo ingredients? Here are a few we’d recommend:
Garlic powder (Frontier)
Black pepper (Frontier)
Raw cashews (Terrasoul Superfoods)
Nutritional yeast (NOW Foods)
Turmeric (Simply Organic)
(You’ll Also Love: Twice-Baked Bacon Cauliflower Casserole)
Avoid supermarket meat laced with dangerous growth hormones and antibiotics - get grass-fed, high quality meat for less than $6 / meal - with FREE delivery!
Avoid supermarket meat laced
with dangerous growth
hormones and antibiotics -
get grass-fed, high quality meat
for less than $6 / meal -
with FREE delivery!