Naturally smooth fine lines and wrinkles with these easy face yoga exercises.
Yes, face yoga is a real thing – and it works. In essence, face yoga takes the principles of exercise and puts it to work on the facial muscles. By stretching and relaxing the muscles of your face, you can improve circulation in the facial muscles beneath the skin. Face yoga acts as a natural toner, resulting in a more youthful and radiant complexion.
Here’s how it works: Face yoga targets specific areas of the face, contracting the target muscle and then releasing to make it stronger and more toned. A 2018 study showed that participants looked an average of three years younger after practicing face yoga for 30-minutes a day for 20 weeks. (1)
Want naturally radiant skin? We’ve created a FREE guide to give you the best tips & tricks for natural skincare.
Click here to get your FREE copy of our Skincare Guide!
Things to remember while practicing face yoga:
- Apply moisturizer first.
- Practice first thing in the morning to help your facial muscles wake up and to remove bloat from the face.
- Do not wrinkle or crease your face during exercises (unless otherwise directed). Use your hands to smooth out your skin as needed.
- Unless otherwise noted, breathe slowly in and out of your nose during each exercise.
- If certain areas need more attention, you can focus on those rather than the entire face.
- Stay consistent with your face yoga routine, practicing 5-7 days a week.
Do this face yoga routine 3 to 4 times through to help reduce fine lines and wrinkles. It can be done anywhere and the only equipment you need is yourself!
6 Easy Face Yoga Exercises
Lion Face | 3 reps
Start with this stress-relieving yoga pose that acts as an all-purpose facial toner by working all of the muscles of the face.
- Look straight ahead with your shoulders relaxed.
- Take an inhale through your nose and scrunch up your entire face.
- Then, exhale as you stick your tongue out and open your eyes wide. Make sure there are no wrinkles in your forehead.
- Repeat three times.
Forehead Smoother | 20 reps
This exercise smooths out the wrinkles that run across the forehead.
- Place your fingers on either side of your forehead, with your pinky fingers resting below your eyebrows and your other fingers stacked above.
- Apply gentle pressure with your fingers, to act as muscle resistance.
- Lift your eyebrows up a little and then release.
- Repeat for 20 reps.
Under-Eye Stretch | 3 reps
Quickly reduce puffy eyes with this easy exercise. You’ll look fresh and radiant!
- Look straight ahead with your shoulders and forehead fully relaxed. Place your hand on the top of your forehead to keep it smooth.
- Open your mouth to create an O shape. Without moving your forehead, look up. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Then, return to a neutral facial position.
- Repeat two more times.
Marionette Line Remover | 3 reps
Target those lines between your mouth and nose with this face yoga move.
- Sit with your head looking straight. Curl your upper and lower lip inward towards your teeth. The area between your nose and your upper lip should be smooth.
- Slowly turn your head to one side. Then, bring your head back to center and turn to the other side.
- Turn side-to-side twice more, keeping your forehead relaxed the entire time.
Cheek Lifter | 3 reps
Use your breath with this face yoga move designed to make your cheeks look fuller and more defined.
- Take a deep inhale, then puff air into your cheeks while keeping your mouth closed.
- Swish the air back and forth from cheek to cheek.
- Take a big exhale through your mouth.
- Repeat for a total of three times.
Giraffe Neck | 3 reps
This exercise tightens and tones your neck muscles.
- Sit up with a tall spine and relaxed shoulders.
- Lift your chin up, then turn your head to the right so it is up at a 45-degree angle. Pucker your lips and hold for three seconds. You should feel a stretch on the bottom left side of your jaw.
- Move your head back down to center and repeat to the left.
- Then, move your chin back to center and lift it up. Pucker your lips and hold for three seconds, then release.
- Repeat two more times.
(Your Next Workout: 10 Anti-Aging Yoga Poses)