Sneak these quick and dirty exercises tips into your day to burn fat and build strength on the sly.
For those days where you’re constantly on the go, these handy exercising tips can help keep you stay active and healthy. They’re not only great for strengthen your upper body, core and legs, but also for keeping your energy and mood up.
The best part – you can do most of these exercises anywhere, from your office to your living room. Pajamas optional.
1. Take the Stairs
They have Stairmasters at all gyms for a reason – taking the stairs is a very effective way to strengthen the lower body, get the heart rate up, and burn calories.
Can you spare 10 minutes a day? Then you can do this 7-Day Paleo Weight Loss Bodyweight Workout Challenge!
Click here to get your FREE copy!
To get the most out of taking the steps, alternate your method. Start by walking up every step as normal to warm up the quadriceps and glutes. Then, skip a step to strengthen your glutes and hamstrings and get your heart rate up even more.
2. Use an Exercise Ball as a Desk Chair
Without even realizing it, just sitting on a stability ball instead of a traditional chair will recruit and strengthen your core muscles. You can even add these quick exercises right at your desk.
Ball Crunches | 15 reps
Use this quick trick to strengthen your abs, reset your spine, and alleviate lower back pain and tightness.
- Move the stability ball away from your desk. Roll down on the ball so that it rests beneath your mid-back. Your feet should be flat on the floor, hip-width distance apart, with your toes pointing straight forward. Bend your elbows and place your hands behind your head.
- Inhale, then exhale to crunch up and squeeze your abs. Inhale to lower back down.
- Continue for 15 reps.
Ball Plank | 30 sec
Strengthen your entire core in just 30 seconds.
- Stand to face the ball. Place your forearms down on the ball and clasp your hands.
- Press firmly into your forearms and walk your feet back to bring your body into a plank position.
- Squeeze your glutes and hold for 30 seconds.
3. Keep an Exercise Band in your Purse
When you find yourself with a few free minutes, pull out your exercise band and do one or more of the exercises below. These are great for when you need a break from your computer since you can do them anywhere.
Biceps Curls | 10-15 reps per side
- Place one end of your exercise band underneath your right foot and hold the other end in your right hand. Step your left foot back and engage your abs.
- Inhale to bend your right elbow and curl the band up towards your shoulder. Exhale to straighten your arm back out.
- Repeat 10-15 times, then switch sides.
Single Arm Rows | 10-15 reps per side
- Place one end of your exercise band underneath your right foot and hold the other end in your left hand.
- Step your left foot back and bend into your right knee to come into a lunge position. Place your right hand on your right thigh and straighten your left arm down.
- Exhale to row your left arm up, squeezing the shoulder blades together. Then inhale to straighten the arm back down.
- Repeat for 10-15 reps, then switch arms.
Squats With Abductor Kicks | 16 reps
- Place the band around your ankles. Then stand with your feet a little wider than hip-width distance and turn your toes out slightly. Bring your hands together in front of your chest and engage your abs.
- Inhale to sit your hips back into a squat. Keep your chest lifted with your shoulders back and down. Your weight should be mostly in your heels.
- Exhale to stand back up and squeeze your glutes. Then, lift one leg straight out to the side, keeping your hips facing forward. You should feel your outer hip working.
- Inhale to come back into your squat. Exhale to stand up, squeeze your glutes, and lift the other leg straight out to the side.
- Repeat for a total of 16 squats.
4. Sneak in Squats and Calf Raises
Sneaking in a few sets of squats or simple calf raises while waiting for dinner to finish roasting in the oven will strengthen your legs, glutes, and hips. You’ll also get your heart rate up to burn fat quickly.
Squats | 15 reps
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart. Turn your toes out at 45-degree angles and bring your hands together in front of your chest. Engage your abs and draw your shoulder blades together.
- Inhale to bend your knees and sit your hips back and down to come into a squat.
- Exhale to stand back up, squeezing your glutes at the top. Repeat for 15 reps.
5. Tone Up During Commercial Breaks
While you’re watching TV with your family at night, use the couch to do a set of triceps dips, or hop down onto the floor and hold a plank pose.
Triceps Dips | 15 reps
- Sit on the edge of your couch or a chair with your hands gripping the edge next to your hips. Your feet should be flat on the floor, ankles a few of inches in front of your knees.
- Press into your palms and pick up your hips.
- Bend your elbows towards 90 degrees, lowering your hips towards the ground. Exhale to press up straighten your arms back out. Repeat for 15 reps.
Forearm Plank | 30-60 seconds
- Lie on your belly and prop yourself up on your forearms.
- Tuck your toes under and engage your abs, then lift your hips so that they are in line with your shoulders. Keep your legs, glutes, and belly engaged.
- Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Hold for 30-60 seconds.
(Your Next Workout: 25 Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do at Home)