Learn how diet plays a large role in our skin health, and why you should monitor your dairy and sugar consumption — especially if you suffer from acne. Get tips for DIY skin treatments, including a facemask you can eat and the best natural ingredients for skin products.
Dr. Cates received her medical degree from the National College of Natural Medicine, and previously served on California’s Bureau of Naturopathic Medicine Advisory Council and on the board of the American Association Naturopathic Physicians. Try her skin quiz and check out her 21-Day Healthy Habits Challenge.
Fight inflammation and create easy, healthy meals! We've created a FREE 7-Day AIP Meal Plan
Click here to Get Your FREE 7-Day AIP Meal Plan!
- 1:05: Why research the skin? Skin problems like acne, rosacea, and eczema reflect internal imbalances.
- 2:00: Holistic vs. mainstream skin treatment: Mainstream dermatologists only address the symptom; naturopathy addresses imbalances in the body.
- 3:15: Skin turnover: Every 28 days we get a fresh start.
- 3:50: Internal inflammation from nutritional deficiencies can trigger skin problems.
- 4:40: Like our gut, our skin has its own microbiome balance.
- 5:20: Mainstream topical creams: A vicious antibiotic cycle.
- 7:00: Antibiotics and topical creams: Necessary, but overused.
- 8:30: Skin conditions and stigma: They affect us mentally and physically.
- 9:40: Sugar and dairy trigger acne, the most common skin problem in America, more than any other foods.
- 12:10: Cut back on high-glycemic index foods to help with skin conditions. Avoid skim milk, a glucose and lactose spiker.
- 17:10: Don’t believe the hype: Marketing and skin care products.
- 17:30: Look for skin products that are mildly acidic to help maintain the skin microbiome and reduce signs of aging.
- 18:40: Consider DIY skin treatments. They’re easier and better than you think. Try skin-healing aloe and marigold, or jojoba oil for acne prevention.
- 25:20: A facemask you can eat!
- 26:25: What you should know about cosmetics and why you should avoid loose powders.
- 29:30: How to get balanced sun exposure.
Watch the episode below!
- Paleohacks on iTunes
- Paleohacks Podcast RSS Feed
- Listen to us on Stitcher
- The Paleohacks YouTube Channel