Crunchy walnuts and sweet cranberries help balance this incredibly satisfying broccoli bacon salad.
Broccoli: a kid’s least favorite food. I know I myself fit into that category. When I was younger, I would always ask my mom what was for dinner right after I arrived home from school. If she replied “broccoli”, I automatically became less excited for dinner. Ewwww….broccoli?!!! Why couldn’t we just eat corn every night?
Thankfully time has passed, and I’ve now come to appreciate broccoli both for the taste and the nutritional value it provides. Though I love broccoli by itself, it automatically becomes more exciting when you add in bacon. ….kind of like everything. Everything is better with bacon, period. This Broccoli Bacon Salad is no exception. Along with bacon, it combines walnuts and cranberries, adding a bit of sweetness to this salad.
I ate this salad raw originally and enjoyed it, and then the next day decided to heat it up in a skillet and I must say that I enjoyed both versions. That being said, I’m leaving it up to you and your taste buds to decide if you’d like to eat your broccoli salad raw or cooked. Either way, it’s delicious!
I opted for the classic olive oil/lemon juice dressing, but feel free to use your own Paleo-friendly dressing if you have a favorite!
Broccoli Bacon Salad
Broccoli Bacon Salad
- 4 cups broccoli
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup cranberries (dried or fresh)
- 2 slices of bacon
- Rendered bacon (approx. 2 tbsp)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- You have two options: you can choose to eat this salad raw or to cook the broccoli first. If you prefer raw broccoli, simply place the broccoli in a large bowl. If you prefer cooked broccoli, cook the broccoli with water over stovetop until soft.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Once both sides are cooked, remove bacon from skillet and allow at least 2 minutes for it to cool.
- Pour rendered bacon (bacon fat) overtop broccoli.
- Add walnuts, cranberries, olive oil and lemon juice to bowl.
- By now, the bacon should be cooked off enough for you to cut or break bacon into smaller pieces and toss it into the bowl as well.
- Mix everything together and enjoy!