Fire up the grill. This fresh take on spiced tandoori chicken has a quick coconut-milk marinade that’s ideal for dinner!
This spiced tandoori chicken dish is traditionally marinated in yogurt. To make it Paleo, coconut milk replaces yogurt, while still keeping the marinade thick. With seasonings like coriander, cumin, and turmeric, the marinade is full of rich flavor and antioxidants.
Tip: The marinade doubles as a sauce for serving, so be sure to reserve a little bit before marinating the chicken.
Start by making the marinade. In a shallow dish, add coconut milk and whisk in the dry seasonings. The marinade should be thick and creamy and have an orange hue. Add chicken breasts and swish them around to completely coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. When you’re ready to cook the chicken, preheat your grill to 450 degrees on direct heat.
The chicken breasts should have a thick coating of marinade around them. Place onto grill and cook 6-7 minutes per side. You want the chicken to be lightly charred and have grill marks. If you don’t have an outdoor grill, the chicken can also be cooked on a grill pan on the stove.
Once removed from the grill, allow the chicken to rest a few minutes. Then slice or shred and serve with Paleo naan bread. Using a blend of cauliflower and ground almonds, this bread is sturdy enough for piling high with toppings. And it can be folded and eaten like traditional naan bread.
I modified this grain-free naan bread recipe. Instead of baking it in the oven, I cooked it in a pan on the stove.
Finish each serving with a splash of sauce, fresh parsley, diced cucumber, and red onion.
Quick, Easy Tandoori Chicken with a Coconut Marinade
- Shallow dish
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 T paprika
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t ground turmeric
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- Chopped cilantro or parsley (for garnish)
- 4 pieces of Paleo naan
- In a shallow dish, add coconut milk and whisk in seasonings. Reserve 1/3 cup of the sauce for serving.
- Add chicken breasts to dish, and swish around to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat grill to 450°F over direct heat. Remove chicken breast from dish, and discard marinade.
- Place chicken on grill, and cook 6-7 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 7 minutes.
- Slice or shred chicken, and serve with Paleo naan.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
(You’ll Also Love: Coconut Curry Chicken with Turmeric)