There are few things in life that I love more than loaded nachos. Just think of all the possibilities! Sometimes I go out to dinner and am starving—like, I could eat my arm off starving—so I immediately start browsing the appetizers. Often, there are several that sound delicious. But nothing usually sounds as delicious as loaded nachos. The problem is that they’re typically kind of really terrible for you.
Talk about a major b-u-m-m-e-r. Or is it? What if you could save money, you’re your own and have them be healthy?! I know, I know it doesn’t sound possible, but it is. THANK GOODNESS.
These Sweet Potato Nachos are loaded with vitamins and natural sugars, and then topped with veggies galore! Feel free to customize them with your favorite vegetables, but I found that onion, mushrooms, lettuce, and avocado were the perfect toppings. I used Daiya’s dairy free cheddar cheese but, once again, feel free to use your favorite brand. Whatever you do, make sure you make yourself these nachos. They’re the perfect appetizer when friends visit or a lazy-yet-healthy Friday night dinner!
Sweet Potato Nachos
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup dairy free shredded cheese
- 1 avocado
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice sweet potatoes and lay flat on a baking sheet; drizzle olive oil overtop Place in oven for 10 minutes and then flip potatoes and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, chop up onion, mushrooms and lettuce.
- Add all toppings except for avocado onto the potatoes and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven, add avocado and enjoy!