Spicy, smoky chili gets beefed up with, yep, beef, mushrooms and kale. Made with mineral-rich bone broth, this chili makes for a healthy, flavorful and balanced meal.
As kale cooks down quite a bit, this chili is a bit more soup-like than stew-like. Feel free to throw in heartier ingredients—cubed sweet potato would work well—if you’d like something heavier. Paleo corn bread is obligatory, though.
Spicy Kale Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 10 oz Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 10 oz kale, chopped
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t chili powder
- 2 t each salt and pepper
- 2 t oregano
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups bone broth
- ½ cup water
How to Make It:
1. In a pan, brown ground beef and mushrooms for roughly 15 minutes.
2. While meat and mushrooms cook, add to a blender red peppers, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic. Blend into a chili base.
3. Add to a slow cooker the ground beef, mushrooms, chili base, bone broth, water and kale. Cook mixture for a minimum of 2 hours on high, up to 6 hours on low.