Thick and decadent on the inside, this Coconut Flour Red Velvet Bread recipe creates a Paleo treat balanced with wholesome ingredients!
Made with a simple base of coconut flour, cocoa powder and eggs, this bread has a secret ingredient: beets! Not only do they give the bread its natural, vibrant color, but the veggie also packs tons of delicious nutrients.
When blended with the cocoa powder, the beets turn the bread into a lusciously creamy, cake-like texture. Perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth.
To start, roast your beet, purée it, and then blend it with the other ingredients. Next, pour the mix into a bread pan, pop it into the oven, and sit back while you wait for it to bake.
A word of caution: beets stain. Believe me, I found out the hard way. So, here’s a quick trick to peeling cooked beets without staining your hands: Once they’re cool enough to touch, run the beets under cold water and remove the skin with your fingers. The skin and root should slip right off!
If you do get some beet stains on you, don’t worry – rub a little lemon juice on your hands and it will come off (and you’ll smell good, too).
Coconut Flour Red Velvet Bread Recipe
- 1 large beet (about 1 ½ cups beet purée)
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 4 T honey
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ t salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare a bread pan by coating it with extra virgin olive oil.
- Loosely wrap beet with foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, then reduce temperature to 350°F.
- Remove foil from the beet; let cool 10 minutes. When it’s cool enough to touch with bare hands, run it under cold water and remove skin with hands.
- Roughly chop the beet into quarters and add to a blender.
- To the blender, add coconut milk, eggs, apple cider vinegar and honey. Blend on high until beets are fully broken up. Then add coconut flour and blend again.
- Next add tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and coconut oil. Blend a final time until combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter to the prepared bread pan, spreading into an even layer.
- Bake 45 minutes until the edges are brown and center is set.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan 20-30 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice into 12 pieces and serve!
Tip: This Red Velvet Bread is great for a quick breakfast with a cup of coffee or as dessert topped with coconut cream. A treat you can feel good about eating!
(You’ll Also Love: Luscious Beet Brownie Recipe)