You and your blender have a comfortable bond. Every morning, you throw in your trusty fruit–vegetables mix, and your blender delivers. It’s a long-term relationship you can count on—but if you’re looking to spice things up, we’ve got just the thing.
This rainbow work of art isn’t your average breakfast smoothie. As such, it takes some patience. While the “cooking” part is as simple as throwing frozen produce in the blender, each layer needs to freeze into a relatively solid consistency before you pour the next. Your freezer gets a workout just as much as your willpower, but the gorgeous end result is totally worth it.
We keep each layer simple and clean, ingredient-wise, so that the flavors complement each other rather than compete. With peaches, blueberries, strawberries and more frozen at peak ripeness, it’s a deliciously sweet and fruity smoothie. A handful of spinach perks things up in the green layer. We found the smoothie plenty sweet on its own, but feel free to add honey or your preferred sweetener if you find yourself needing more.
To help the freezing process along, we put our Mason jar in a bath of ice water and salt while it chilled in the freezer. This isn’t required, but it will get you to the best part of the smoothie—eating it—a lot quicker.
Unlike other rainbow smoothies on the web, this one is a pretty healthy treat. There’s no synthetic food dyes and sugar-laden fruit juices—just fruit, veggies and coconut milk.
We recommend whipping these up on a weekend morning for a special treat—especially if you have kids. They’ll get a kick out of the vibrant smoothie layers, and you can rest easy knowing their treat is clean-eating friendly.
Paleo Rainbow Smoothie
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 ½ frozen bananas, divided
- ¼ cup frozen peaches and/or mango
- ½ cup frozen pineapple, divided
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup spinach
- 10 T coconut milk, divided
- Optional: honey to taste
- For the indigo layer: Blend frozen blueberries, ½ frozen banana and 2 T coconut milk. Carefully spoon smoothie into the bottom of the Mason jar so as to not stain the sides of the jar. Freeze first layer for 10 to 20 minutes. Remember to give your blender a quick rinse between each layer.
- Tip: To speed up the freezing process, place Mason jar in a bath of ice water and salt while in the freezer.
- For the orange layer: Blend frozen peaches and/or mango, ¼ cup frozen pineapple and 2 T coconut milk. Carefully spoon smoothie atop indigo layer. Freeze for 10 to 20 minutes.
- For the green layer: Blend spinach, ½ frozen banana and 2 T coconut milk. Carefully spoon smoothie atop orange layer. Freeze for 10 to 20 minutes.
- For the pink layer: Blend frozen strawberries and 2 T coconut milk. Carefully spoon smoothie atop green layer. Freeze for 10 to 20 minutes.
- For the yellow layer: Blend ¼ cup frozen pineapple, ½ frozen banana and 2 T coconut milk. Carefully spoon into top of glass. Enjoy your work of art!
(You’ll Also Love: 20 Amazing Paleo Smoothie Recipes)