Homemade Paleo bread combines with the spices of the season to make an indulgent pumpkin-spiced French toast that will have the whole house smelling heavenly.
Nutmeg and cinnamon add spice and aroma to traditional recipes, making them perfect for chilly mornings. You can choose to start with any Paleo bread you like, but I prefer this recipe. It’s made with flaxseeds and almond butter, which meshes perfectly with the pumpkin spices!
For an autumn-inspired batter, this recipe mixes pumpkin purée, cinnamon and nutmeg with eggs and coconut milk. It’s like having a healthy pumpkin pie for breakfast!
To make your French toast, dredge each slice of bread into the batter one by one and lay them onto the skillet, working in batches. It takes about 3-4 minutes to brown each side of the bread.
Top your French toast with any fixings you crave — from chopped hazelnuts to dark chocolate chips and cranberries. I kept it simple and whipped some grass-fed butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon and drizzled maple syrup on top.
Pumpkin-Spiced French Toast Recipe
- 6 slices of Paleo bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 T pumpkin purée
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 2 T grass-fed butter
- Pure maple syrup for topping
- Extra butter for serving
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk eggs, coconut milk, pumpkin purée, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan and melt. Dredge each piece of bread in batter and shake off excess.
- Working in batches of 2 slices at a time, place bread onto pan and cook 3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. Melt extra butter as needed. Serve hot with maple syrup and butter.
Tip: If you’re making a large batch of French toast, place finished pieces on a cookie sheet in a 200°F oven to keep them hot and crisp around the edges until they’re ready to eat!
(You’ll Also Love: Paleo Pumpkin Spice Muffins)