Hearty Hungarian Goulash gets its characteristic spicy-sweet flavor and warm red color from heaping tablespoons of paprika. Hunks of chuck roast join carrot and onion, which provide both texture and natural sweetness to the stew.
A healthy dose of cinnamon, cumin and mustard round out the deeply-spiced, warm flavor profile. Finally, mineral-rich bone broth makes the dish a nutritional and flavorful winner.
Hearty Hungarian Goulash
- 2 lbs Chuck roast, cubed
- 4 whole carrots, cut into large chunks
- 8 oz canned plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 T paprika
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T minced garlic
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 cups bone broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil to brown meat
How to Make It
1. Coat large pan with enough coconut oil to line the bottom. Brown cubes of chuck steak over high heat in batches, about 2 minutes a side.
2. Chop carrots and onion. Hand crush tomatoes (like the Italians do!) Add carrots, onion and tomato to slow cooker.
3. Add meat, seasonings, garlic, mustard and bone broth to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low 8-10 hours.
You’ll Also Love