Who wouldn’t love a hearty bowl of soup filled with hearty shredded chicken? It’s filled with flavor, packed with protein, and an incredibly satisfying twist on a classic meal. With spicy jalapeños, zesty chili powder and a little cilantro and avocado or guacamole as a topping, you won’t even miss those tortillas that always got soggy, anyway.
Slow cook this soup on high heat to have it ready in only four hours, or try low and slow if you’ll be away all day. Either way, the final product will be richly satisfying.
Chicken Tortilla-less Soup
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 - 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 t chili powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- black pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- guacamole, for garnish
- Preheat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic until onions are translucent. Transfer the cooked vegetables into the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients (excluding the cilantro and guacamole). Cook everything for 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
- Once everything is cooked, use a pair of tongs to remove the chicken to a cutting board or plate. Using two forks, or a knife, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Transfer the chicken back into the slow cooker and stir to mix.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls and top with cilantro and guacamole. Enjoy!
Watch the Video Recipe Below!
(You’ll Also Love: 20 Easy Paleo Crock Pot Recipes)