This refreshing drink is a great beverage for a warm summer day. The coconut cream gives the tea a luxurious texture while keeping it dairy-free!
Chai Tea with Coconut Cream
- 1 large cinnamon stick, broken up into pieces
- 6 cloves
- 5 green cardamon pods
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 black tea bags
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1-2 teaspoons xylitol (from birch)
How To Make It:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add all of the spices except for the ginger. Lightly toast for 2-3 minutes or until very aromatic. Remove from the heat and cool slightly before adding the ginger.
- Place all of the spices into a spice grinder and blend into a fine powder. Alternatively, use a mortar and pestle.
- To make two servings of chai tea, place the black tea bags and boiling water into a small pot over low-medium heat that will keep the water at simmering point. Remove the tea bags after 2 minutes then add half a teaspoon of the ground chai spices (store the rest in a container). Stir for 30 seconds then add 1 cup of coconut cream until heated through.
- Taste the chai and add more coconut cream and/or sweeten to taste with xylitol or preferred sweetener if desired. Use a hand blender to froth the chai tea then pour into two cups to serve.
Try this “Tropical Coconut Smoothie” — another tasty way to use coconut cream!