Packed with warm, cozy flavors like turmeric, rosemary and garlic, and endlessly creamy thanks to puréed cauliflower and coconut milk, this soup will comfort you any time of day.
Considering it’s almost 90 percent vegetable, this bacon chowder is also a nutrition-packed way to get your fill of veggies without turning to a ho-hum salad. When it comes to the soup’s flavor, it’s all about layering flavors in the soup base. We start with bacon, a rich, fatty beginner. Then a simple mirepoix—a mélange of carrots, onion and celery—adds to the soup’s flavor base. After that comes deliciously aromatic and pungent spices and herbs like turmeric, fresh garlic and rosemary. We finish with a heaping tablespoon of nutritional yeast, which makes the bacon chowder cheesy with no added dairy in sight.
This bacon chowder owes its creamy texture to puréed cauliflower—which gives us a buttery flavor and mouthfeel—and mild-tasting coconut milk. This soup is easiest to make with an immersion blender, as you can purée the soup directly in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, a blender or food processor will do—just be very careful when transferring and blending hot liquids.
How velvety your soup is depends on how aggressive you are in puréeing it. If you want a silky smooth soup, purée until there are no chunks left in sight. We like a little bit of added chew, so we puréed the soup about half way. If you’re using a blender or a food processor, this means blending only half the soup, then stirring the puréed version back into the remaining soup.
This soup is a perfect light lunch that will still leave you satisfied, but it also easily makes a dinner when served with a side salad, some roasted vegetables (for even more veggie-packed nutrition!) or some Paleo dinner rolls.
Creamy Cauliflower Bacon Chowder Recipe
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 cup mirepoix (diced carrots, celery and onion)
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside, reserving the bacon fat at the bottom.
- Add additional extra virgin olive oil to pan if needed, then the mirepoix, spices and herbs. Cook down for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cauliflower and chicken stock. Stir. Simmer for 40 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Stir in coconut milk. Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender) and purée to desired consistency.
- Chop the bacon and stir back into soup.
(You’ll Also Love: Paleo New England Clam Chowder)